Question About Pre Made Black Icing

Decorating By Chasey Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm by Chasey

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hi experts icon_smile.gif

I'm a beginner decorator and have a question....

I purchased two tubes of Wilton's black icing so that I could just attach the star tip and make it easier for me to do a checkered race flag. I plan on going around the sides of two 8 x 2 in layers laid side by side alternating white and black blocks of stars.

I am now reading that this icing is pretty stiff! Any experience with this or tips on how to make it easier on myself?

Should I attempt to squeeze it into a container and thin it down some? Thin it with what, in that case?

What about the taste? I wasn't a fan of the Wilton Decorator icing taste my friend used on her sugar cookies. Can I add something to the black tube icing? I am making my own buttercream for the rest of the cake.

Thanks in advance for answering the easy stuff!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

If you're going to do a lot of stars, and the icing is stiff, I would definitely squeeze it out (cut the tubes open so you can get ALL of the icing out of them) and thin it down. You can use some water to thin it (do drops at a time ... it won't take much). Otherwise you'll have hand cramps like you won't believe.

I've actually done cakes where I've walked over to my hubby and asked him to unbend my fingers for me! icon_lol.gif

Chasey Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, indydebi! Wow, I had to go back 3 pages to find this answer. This forum is super busy with great Q & A.

Do you think it's possible to add cocoa powder and water to enhance the taste and stretch the amount a bit?

Thanks again!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

Mix in some cheap canned chocolate frosting with the black. The color dye in the black is so heavy that it will color the chocolate immediately, but will taste a little better too, and thin it at the same time, I wouldn't add any water until you check the consistency after mixing in the chocolate frosting.

I use the black icing from Sam's Club all the time, it's way cheaper that trying to make my own, but I always mix in cheap chocolate frosting with it for the taste and to make it easier to squeeze out of the bags.

HTH

Suze

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 6

I find that the easiest and best tasting way to do the black icing is to take the black tubes of icing, cut the top off (like IndyDebi suggested) and squeeze it out into a bowl and then add about the same amount of white stiff buttercream and mix it up really well. I then mix a little bit of black paste color. This tastes good and when it comes to room temperature it is normally easy to pipe. If it is too stiff, it will be easier to thin down than just the tubed icing. Well, maybe not easier, but just a nicer consistancy.

Good luck and Happy Decorating!!

Chasey Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 6

Perfect! Thank you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%