Taping Florist Wire - Help?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm by ZlatkaT

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 6

I am in lost. I made my flowers, attached them on the wire (24 GA), and now I cannot tape them over with florist tape! The tape is slippery and wound not attache. Did I supposed to tape the wire before attaching my flowers to the wire? I am trying to make bouquets. Thank you for any help.

5 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 6

When you work with the tape, be sure to stretch it a bit rather than just rolling it on the wire. I stretch it almost to the tearing point, but I've been doing it so long I can practically do it with my eyes closed. You can also cut the tape length wise to make it a little easier to work with for a beginner, especially if you are working with very fine wire and tiny flowers/leaves . Yes, you can also wrap it before you attach to the flowers your making.

ZlatkaT Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, will try....I have problem even to start taping, how do I start? The tape is slipping of the wire or is lose and it looks ugly.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

I like to moisten my fingertips just a bit. I pinch the tape to the wire really hard while twisitng it. I can't really explain it by words but it is like you are rubbing your index finger with your thum white the wire and tape is in the middle.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 6

I wrap just the end of the tape over the wire and use my fingernail to hold it tight over the wire as I stretch it and start to twist the wire.....hope this makes sense to you! Example....hold wire in left hand, bring tape from right hand behind wire and wrap back over wire just a tiny bit...enough to be able to use your fingernail to press up tight over the 2 layers of tape and against the wire....at the same time stretching the tape and twist wire counter clockwise. a bit a practice and you should be able to do it just fine!

ZlatkaT Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 6

great responses...I guess practice is the key, but I think I got it. Thank you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%