How Would I Attach Sugar Crystals To Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 2:44am by sewsweet2

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

I am going to be doing a wedding dress cake. For the background I want to use a white buttercream icing. I am going to cover this with gold sugar crystals. I don't want to push the crystals into the buttercream. I have used corn syrup on fondant before to adhere them. Would that work on buttercream icing? It will be the crusted kind.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Vicki

6 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:32am
post #2 of 7

The way I did sugar crystals on the side of the cake was to crumb coat the cake and then make strips of frosting on waxed paper. I put the sugar on the soft frosting and then placed the strips in the freezer. When they wer solid I dampened the crumb coat with a spritz of water, peeled off the waxed paper and attached it to the cake. As the frosting softens it's easy to blend the seams to hid any over lap. The frosting thaws quickly so you have to work with one strip at a time and work quickly. This worked really well for me without having to press the sugar in too far and a lot less waste and mess.

HTH

Michele

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 7

I've used piping gel and a soft brush and brushed a thin coat over the buttercream, then just sprinkled the sugar crystals over that. The piping gel is somewhat sticky so the crystals stick upon contact. plus since the gel is clear and shiny, it gives the cake a nice look, too.

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies. Seems like it will work out for me.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 7

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:57am
post #6 of 7

that is so cool. I am going to have to try some of these ideas. thanks for sharing.
icon_biggrin.gif

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 7

I have used slightly thinned corn syrup and a soft brush to paint my crusting butterdream in sections, then poured the sugar over the surface. Collect the lose sugar and use it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%