Basketball Texture?

Decorating By Oklahomasweetie Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 3:20am by denetteb

Oklahomasweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oklahomasweetie Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:00am
post #1 of 10

Ok, so i'm working on the last details for a cake for tomorrow. I'm going to put little fondant basketballs (flat not 3D) on one layer. Well i'm setting her looking at my little orangy-brown cut outs and realize i completely forgot about the texture of a basketball. So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on a quick way to put that kind of a texture on these little circle cut outs? I'm sure there is a simple idea i'm just not thinking of, lol.

TIA

9 replies
MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 10

Anything with a pebble texture would work. I've used texture sheets you get at the craft store but in a pinch maybe try a new sheet of coarse sand paper pressed lightly. Put a piece of saran wrap over your fondant first.

MistyBeasley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyBeasley Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:09am
post #3 of 10

I did a football a few weeks ago and needed texture, so I went to the local Hobby Lobby. I first went to the scrap booking paper section. They have really thick(almost plastic) 12 by 12 basketball and football paper. I used it just like a texture mat. I was able to just wipe it off and store it with my other cake decorating things. The paper cost $2.00. You can also use a meat mallet to make the impressions in the fondant.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #4 of 10

I love the paper idea, but a quick fix would to be to use a #2 or #3 tip and "stamp" circles all over... not too deep, just enough to give you little nubs like on a real basketball. icon_smile.gif

njusaguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njusaguy Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #5 of 10

Just a thought--maybe you already have something in your kitchen you could use? A nutmeg or ginger grater? Or the very small holes on a box grater? Haven't done it myself, but experiment--what's to lose, and it might save you a trip and a few $$. Good luck.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 10

I have used a cheese grater...one of the small ones with the handle and just gently rubbed it over the surface.

Oklahomasweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oklahomasweetie Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I knew there had to be some simple ideas to try but was having one of those moments when everything just flies right outta the brain, lol.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #8 of 10

There's a paper towel that has a great basketball texture to it...maybe Bounty?? Much easier than making all the tiny circles one by one!

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 10

If you have a metal mesh strainer, that works perfectly! Just roll it over the fondant and voila!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1521534

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #10 of 10

Ditto on the paper towel with texture, most likely a cheap brand. I used it once for a football and it worked and looked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%