Is This Even Possible?!?!

Baking By Mel2085 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm by PattyT

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 53

I have a lady that wants cookies for her baby shower. It is only 2 dozen so this wouldn't be a horrible thing for me to do, but she wants the picture from her shower invites to be on the cookies, not the wording but just the baby....Could I do a frozen butter cream transfer on the cookies? My first thought was RI but I don't really want to because it is so easy to break.....and they have to be delivered over and hour away! So if I can avoid RI I would love it!

So what do you think....is it possible to do this in a FBCT?

Also since I don't know much about FBCT...since I just figured out you can do this....can I make them and put them on the cookies the night before? Or should I do them the day I deliver them? Or once they thaw are they just like BC?

TIA

Melissa
LL

52 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:25am
post #2 of 53

If you have time, I would make a printable file with all those in the size you need and send to Icing Images and have them print you an edible image to cut and put on the cookies.

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 53

Do you have an edible image copier, if so they have the sheets with circles on them that you could copy the image onto and then on to the cookies. My local grocery store makes edible images for me, I have to pay a little more for them as I don't have a working copier right now.

Mel2085 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 53

They are going to be about 3.5 to 4 inch circle cookies.....so the Icing Images won't work......and the cookies are due in 2 weeks

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:42am
post #5 of 53

You could have them printed on a 1/4 sheet frosting sheet and cut them out. Just make the image the size you need and have the store print it for you. You should be able to cut it with the cookie cutter. Making 24 FBCs is going to be time consuming.

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 53

Could you print them on a 8 x 11 sheet and then cut the circles out. Just make a copy of as many as you can get on a sheet and then have it printed on the edible image sheet, cut around and then apply to cookies. I don't know how to word that technically, hope you understand what I am saying... icon_rolleyes.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 53

I suggest you make the baby figure as a CT (chocolate transfer). It's much the same as a FBCT but in my opinion easier to do. Just outline the baby, then flood inside that w/melted chocolate. And would taste greaticon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #8 of 53

You should be able to shrink the image down to fit. Honesly, the FBCT wouldn't be the best option since it will stay on the soft side and could easily be damaged. If you do it in RI right onto the cookie then it wn't be fragile, and unless you are making them really thin it shouldn't be so fragile it would snap.

My first choice would be edible images... it would be super easy. My second choice would be to use royal icing directly on the cookie. You could even make the babies and place them onto the wet RI flood on the cookies. You can drop the white right onto the wet yellow to make the clouds. Just ake sure you charge well for all the work. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:58am
post #9 of 53

Why won't it work? Just open a Microsoft Publisher document (or something similar) and make the clip art to be the 3" or whatever size you need...then multiply to as many as will fit on a page...then cut them out by hand after you get the image printed.

Icing Images ships lightning fast, you have time...or a local grocery store will do it too.

Mel2085 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 53

I talked to her and she doesn't want an edible transfer, she wants something that will be soft to eat. So I guess RI is out of the questions also. So I guess my question is If i ice the cookie with buttercream would I be able to place a FBCT on it?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:18am
post #11 of 53

And this where you as the decorater with all the knowledge explain to her what can and can not be done. The only other option left is cutting everthing out in fondant and putting it on the cookie while it's warm. But to get the perfect baby would be the edible transfer. Lets see then when your done.

Mel2085 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #12 of 53

I honestly don't even like edible transfers....I think they look "store bought" and that isn't why I started doing this.....plus I am not doing the whole picture, it is just the baby and without the dots on his mask and fins.

gmorriello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #13 of 53

you could use a cricut and scal. Bring in the image of the baby and layer the different pieces with different colors of fondant or gumpaste...just a suggestion:0)

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #14 of 53

Sounds like you really want to do it in FBCT.
It's a cute picture, good luck!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #15 of 53

I'm not sure FBCT can stack on top of each other which would make packaging and traveling a little more difficult.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 53

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'd probably enlarge the design to the size I wanted, make a pattern, and cut the cookies out by hand. The baby wouldn't be a design on the cookie...it would be the cookie! It'd be really, really cute!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 53

I don't love edible images either... I think FBCT would work... you just couldn't stack them. If it's a crusting BC you might be able to wrap them very carefully, but they would still be fragile. Honestly, you might have to burst her bubble and let her know that if she wants the designs to be on the cookies and have them not be so delicate you can't do anything with them she will have to settle for RI. Unfortunately customers aren't always right (eventhough they think they are).. icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'd probably enlarge the design to the size I wanted, make a pattern, and cut the cookies out by hand. The baby wouldn't be a design on the cookie...it would be the cookie! It'd be really, really cute!

This is the best idea I have seen yet. Time consuming but would be the best cookies they have ever seen. Just be sure to charge enough.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 53

Yeah, it depends on the budget they have!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:28pm
post #20 of 53

You could paint it on fondant. It's not a terribly elaborate design. Cut out the fondant circles, paint them, then when they are dry, ice the cookies with a little b/c and place the fondant on.

I wouldn't want to do that many FBCTs.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #21 of 53

I'd paint it over fondant, it would be soft and not fragile at all.
Just pain ans lay it over de warm cookies to stick.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #22 of 53
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:33pm
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2085

I honestly don't even like edible transfers....I think they look "store bought" and that isn't why I started doing this.....plus I am not doing the whole picture, it is just the baby and without the dots on his mask and fins.

What about doing it in color flow? Put buttercream on the cookie, then place this on top of the bc. The bc will stay soft, and the colorflow will help protect it from rubbing off the cookie. You still have to be very careful since the colorflow is so fragile.

OR........... Put the edible imagine on the cookie, then pipe on top of the image itself. No one will even know the edible image is there because it will be entirely covered.

cownsj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:35pm
post #24 of 53

xinue - those cookies are adorable.

cownsj Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #25 of 53

Is this what you want the picture to end up being? (minus the spots)
LL

mishapraise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishapraise Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:12am
post #26 of 53

We transport our cookies in pizza boxes. That would solve your delivery problem. Then you wouldn't need to worry about hurting them or piling them on top of each other, and could decorate them in buttercream, which is what we do most of with our cookies at the bakery I work in including our shipouts, which have gone to IRaq and Korea and come through just fine.

You would have to cut yours out by hand after making a template. 2 dozen isn't too bad. But to do all the stuff, with the cutting of the fondant and all, you would have to charge a whopping price just for the labor alone. If you aren't an artist and couldn't draw the details on the cutout by hand you have a big problem. Then you will have to do an edible image. We have used hand made templates for certain cookies we don't have cutters for. You can use heavy duty cardboard or get one of the kids in the high school shop class to cut you one out of thin plywood.

Sometimes, you just have to tell the folks who have been watching the cake shows on the food network that their idea isn't feasible for what they want you to do. Nor would it work with their budget.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Red from iowa icon_biggrin.gif

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 1:07am
post #27 of 53

You could use Meringue Powder Buttercream (Recipe from Karen's Cookies . Net)
She mentions adding a little more meringue powder to help the stiffen but its soft in the inside. You would have to do it a few days ahead of time so they could dry. And I would add some cornstarch to help with the taste.

1/3 cup water
3 T. meringue powder
½ cup shortening
4 ½ cups powdered sugar (1 lb. 3 oz. If you have a scale)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white icing)
¼ tsp. almond extract
Place half of the powdered sugar and the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together well. Turn on mixer (use whip attachment) and, while motor is running, slowly stream in the water. Mix until everything is incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form. Add flavorings and mix well. Change to paddle attachment (for stand mixer) or dough hook (for Bosch). If using a hand mixer, use the same beaters you were using before. Add remaining powdered sugar and shortening and whip for 2-3 minutes more.

Note: Don't skimp on the whipping time after adding the shortening. You really need to whip it well to prevent separation later.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:18am
post #28 of 53

What about the glace recipe from Toba Garrett? I have found that it dries hard, but not as hard as RI - it's still kind of soft underneath. And, it's super easy to make. No egg whites!

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:19pm
post #29 of 53

We ice all our sugar cookies with buttercream and at the bakery we would just draw it on . If we have a opic to look at we usually freehand our design. they will be super cute!!

Mel2085 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 1:05pm
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Is this what you want the picture to end up being? (minus the spots)

yes that is the picture I am going to use. I am going to work on it tonight and see which is easier....RI (And do the mirrior image) and FBCT.

I am not a fan of colorflow, it is really fragile and the colors bleed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%