Guess What....home Kitchen In Georgia

Business By Rachie204 Updated 4 May 2010 , 6:56am by gwenette

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 9

So I have had many many people tell me that it isn't possible to have a home kitchen licensed in Georgia and I just thought I would share that that information isn't completely accurate. My home for instance had an original kitchen and then there was an addition added with a second kitchen. We use the newer kitchen for our family...the older kitchen we ripped out but still have all the hookups sitting there going to waste. Dept. Of Agriculture Inspector is going to come out next week and tell me exactly what I need to do to make it possible to bake and be licensed. We might need to add a wall or something and I am going to need to get some new appliances... ( FUN!!) But it is looking like it will be possible anyways. I just thought I would share in case there was anyone else who had been getting incorrect information. I will update next week on what the inspector says.

8 replies
Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 9

What county do you live in? I live in Cobb County, and have been told by the Dept. of Ag. that you can't have a home kitchen in Cobb, even if it is completely separate.

Rachie204 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 9

I am in Richmond County and the Dept. Of Agriculture in Thompson, Ga whom covers this area said that as long as it is separate it should be okay...that's just crazy it can be so different in the same state. I how ever am worried about the electrical and plumbing requirements since the room I am hoping to use was built in 1953.

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 9

It varies from county to county in Georgia.

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 9

awesome! good luck! icon_smile.gif

Rachie204 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 9

thanks kikibakes!

Exoticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Exoticakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:46am
post #7 of 9

I live in DeKalb County and cannot figure out exactly what options I have. The state's website is not really helpful. Was also thinking of a street vending option downtown or a booth rental in a flea market/discount mall. Any info on this?

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:15am
post #8 of 9

Just a thought for you...you might also check with the city where you live if you live in the city limits. Here in Al, the city is the entity that grants you your license to operate a business. They have their own rules and regulations that your building must meet (plumbing, electrical, etc. Then you must have a certificate from the HD that you are safe to operate a food business and conform with their regulations. They go hand and hand. The city building dept. may or may not allow home based food business in your area depending on codes and covenents.

If you live out side the city limits in a county area rules may be different and your HD inspector may be helpful there to get you the information that you need to obtain your state license. Pam from Bama

gwenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwenette Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:56am
post #9 of 9

I checked in Georgia and the dept.of agr. was very nice and helpful.I got them to fax me all of the info I needed,but rules do vary from county to county,but I am so excited because I found out some things to do to start the process of having a home bakery,but I do dread the task of checking on insurance.I was told insurance would be cheaper if I just delivered cakes by an agent before he even got into the price which he has to get back with me on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%