Need Quick Help...baking Soda Vs Powder ???

Baking By djs328 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 2:00am by djs328

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 5

Help please! icon_smile.gif I know there are some scientific and experienced brains on here! icon_smile.gif
I am making a red velvet cake and it calls for 1 tsp of baking soda...not paying attention and I put a tsp of baking powder.. icon_redface.gif
I know that powder is soda + crm of tartar (basically)...It's already mixed into the flour & sugar...so my question is should I just dump it and start again, or can I add the baking soda (with the powder already in there also?) and it will be ok??

TIA!!
icon_redface.gif

4 replies
swapnilgupta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swapnilgupta Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 5

Using Baking Powder Instead of Baking Soda
You need to use 2-3 times more baking powder than baking soda. The extra ingredients in the baking powder will have an effect on the taste of whatever you are making, but this isn't necessarily bad.

Ideally, triple the amount of baking soda to equal the amount of baking powder. So, if the recipe called for 1 tsp baking soda, you would use 3 tsp baking powder.

What I do is compromise... I use twice the amount of baking powder as baking soda (add 2 tsp of baking powder if the recipe calls for 1 tdp baking soda), plus I omit the salt (which adds flavor but also affects rising in some recipes).

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 5

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

I would think that if you just go ahead and add the soda, the erroneus baking powder isn't going to ruin your recipe.

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #4 of 5

The baking soda is in a red velvet cake for leavening as well as to help neutralize some of the acidic ingredients in that formula (I'm assuming there's cocoa powder, maybe some vinegar and perhaps even some buttermilk). Since you've already added the 1 tsp of baking powder, I would try to save it by adding 1/2tsp of baking soda.

Baking soda is 4x stronger than baking powder. But if you add too much baking soda, you'll get a soapy taste in your end product. Too much baking powder and you'll have a bitter flavor.

The worse that can happen is that you have to start all over. But better to bake it off first and see.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:00am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, everyone! Will let you know how my mistake turns out! LOL! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%