Help!! Traveling 15 Long Hours With A Cake

Decorating By Lee9 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm by Lee9

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have never traveled with a cake more than an hour and now need to travel 14hrs - Florida to Maryland - in late March with a 2-layer 11x15 sheet cake. We have planned an 80th Surprise Birthday Party for my husbands grandmother, a flower garden theme. My plan is to bake and freeze Tuesday night - stack, fill, and crumbcoat Wednesday night - ice on Thursday evening. We are leaving at 2:00am Friday morning and I was going to do the decorating once we get to Maryland. (I do want to put a stone path textured piece of fondant on before we leave.) The trunk will be full so I was going to put the cake on the floor behind the passenger seat in a box. Am I asking for a disaster with my plan? Shifting, cracking, settling? What problems might I be facing? Any suggestions?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 4

It's just a one tier cake. And small. Just put a good board underneath and you'll be fine.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4

Agreed... make sure you have a sturdy board under it (more for lifting purposes than anything) and you will be more than fine. I've traveled 4 hours by car and 2.5 hours by ferry with a 4 tiered wedding cake... if that can make it in one piece I think you will be a-okay! icon_smile.gif

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thank You I feel much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%