Eat Your Heart Out....especially Mike

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 5:45am by Mike1394

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 24

I just won a 1/2 pound box of truffles. Oh yeah! I'm talking the mushroom truffles baby! They are black truffles and oh so pretty. One of them is even bigger than a 50 cent piece. I'm so excited. A $2 raffle ticket and I have hundred of dollars in truffles in my fridge right now. Now what to use them for? icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #2 of 24

truffles!!!!! yikes, what are you going to do with them?

mkolmar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 24

I don't know yet. I'm thinking of some kind of protein plated on sweet/acidic sauce, then light buttered greens on top of the protein and then shaving some truffle on top of that. Maybe some homemade pasta with the truffles shaved on top. I'm not sure yet. icon_razz.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:37am
post #4 of 24

Don't forget to make a bottle of your own truffle oil!

Oh, I am so JEALOUS!!!

mkolmar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #5 of 24

I was even given about 5 pounds of other various pricey mushrooms and some fresh herbs. About 8 different kinds of mushrooms all together.
Part of them are going to be made into Mushroom soup. I made up some bread that I'll toast up and put on top.
OOOH, that's a good idea on the truffle oil.

My DH right now thinks I'm a dork because I'm so excited.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:40am
post #6 of 24

Congratulations!

I don't eat truffles (except the chocolate kind), but I have seen them often on top of risotto with asparagus & shrimp.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:09am
post #7 of 24

If they are too much to eat all of right now, you can preserve them. 1/4 sherry, 1/2 good red wine, 1/4 chicken or vegetable stock. Boil the whole truffels in that for about 30 minutes, fill into sterilised jars, close with tightfitting lid and boil in a saucepan water for another 45 minutes to sterilise. Keeps for about a year. Use the juice to make sauces for venison or roasts, and you can use the truffels for anything else as well, eg. shave over pasta etc

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:00am
post #8 of 24

Risotto
Truffle butter
Chicken baked with truffles and the list goes on . . . . .

I'm jealous and my mouth is watering just thinking of all the incredible recipes.

prterrell Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:02am
post #9 of 24

Can you slice and dry them in a food dehydrator for preservation?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:38am
post #10 of 24

Saying this in the nicest way possible You suck icon_biggrin.gif . LOLOL

Oh I'm sooooo jealous.

Hey wait a minute your NOT that far away.

I have a website on the home puter that has traditional French recipes, sweet, and savory.

I'll send it if ya want it.

Great find icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

prterrell Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:42am
post #11 of 24

Mike, could you PM me that website? icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:05am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Mike, could you PM me that website? icon_biggrin.gif

I will certainly give me a few hrs before I can get to it. Anyone else just let me know.

Mike

mkolmar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 24

That's right Mike, your not that far away. icon_lol.gif Next thing I know I'll hear someone in my house to come running and only see the fridge and the front door open. icon_lol.gif Actually, I'd give you one. See, I can be nice sometimes. icon_wink.gif Thanks for the link.

You all have some great idea. If everyone lived around me I'd throw a mushroom party (not that kind of mushroom party!) and have a big dinner.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 24
mkolmar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks Jamie. I'm going to make some truffle oil I think. I'm going to have to do something to store these. I want to enjoy them and DH and I are working too much this week to enjoy these the way they should be enjoyed.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #16 of 24

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gif Lucky, lucky, lucky you! So jealous!

Mike send me the address, please.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #17 of 24

YUMMMMM........please post on what you finally DO with them! What a great prize!!!

Mike1394 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:06pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

That's right Mike, your not that far away. icon_lol.gif Next thing I know I'll hear someone in my house to come running and only see the fridge and the front door open. icon_lol.gif Actually, I'd give you one. See, I can be nice sometimes. icon_wink.gif Thanks for the link.

You all have some great idea. If everyone lived around me I'd throw a mushroom party (not that kind of mushroom party!) and have a big dinner.

icon_evil.gif Darn snow clogged my piggies snout. icon_evil.gif

Mike

mkolmar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:36pm
post #19 of 24

ha! funny.
I bought lobster tails. I decided to make it and place over risotto and shave some of the truffle on top.

I have 3.1 ounces of truffles left and my DH told me to sell them. Then he told me that he doesn't feel like Main lobster tails icon_confused.gif I hate it when he gets in a bad mood.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #20 of 24

Tell hubby he can go have Mickey D's for dinner. I bet you could auction off a dinner like that on here.

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #21 of 24

Sheesh, tell your husband I'ld be more then happy to take his place. I'm having Chinese take-out.

mkolmar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #22 of 24

I'd gladly have any of you in his place right now! At least you all would appreciate it. I put the lobster tails in the freezer and I made chicken with baked plantains and sauted veggies instead.

So who wants to come over for dinner sometime this weekend? I also will be making scratch breads and desserts with the meal. I'll even buy wine or make Irish Cream/Kahlua/Amaretto (yep, all 3 of them together) milkshakes.

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:02am
post #23 of 24

icon_cry.gif AS I eat my store bought cheesecake (no one laugh, I have a right to be lazy with 3 under 3) after my Chinese take-out, I cry further at your weekend menu seeing as how you live no where near me and I can't afford any truffles! And oh the milkshakes...okay I just got to stop thinking about it all! icon_cry.gif

Mike1394 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:45am
post #24 of 24

I'll bring the bread icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%