Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Baking By Mishcard Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm by Renaejrk

Mishcard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mishcard Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to cake decorating & have to make a 50th anniversary cake for someone. They want chocolate buttercream but my recipe comes out to be a dark brown. My question is does anyone have a delicious recipe that comes out a light beige color. Or is it just impossible to do a chocolate buttercream light in color. BTW they do not want white chocolate.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, most of the time I mix ganache into my normal buttercream. Its really nice. But its not baige colour. Its a bit darker than that. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 8

i know from experience..if you stop it at a lighter color. you are missing the chocolate taste.. i,ve tried it with american b/c.. smbc... imbc, etc.. less chocolate. less chocolate taste...

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 8

You could try adding some of the Wilton White icing color to lighten it up a bit.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 8

You could try Sugarshack's buttercream using International Delights White Chocolate Mocha coffee creamer. I also added 2 melted bars of ghirardelli white chocolate before adding the sugar. Then you could add just enough brown to get the shade you need.
Here is the link to her recipe. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5313/sugarshacks-buttercream-icing
HTH

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 8

Duh - I just read they don't want white chocolate!

Mishcard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mishcard Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I will have to try a few different things to see what I can come up with. I was thinking of using less cocoa powder & adding a chocolate oil or extract....looks like I better start experimenting.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 8

When I make FMBC and use 6 oz of melted chocolate it is darker than beige, but it is a fairly light brown - but tastes very chocolatey to me! I have NEVER had dark brown BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%