Colored Fondant

Decorating By chaisme Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 12:40am by chaisme

chaisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaisme Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 10

I just started making my own marshmallow fondant using one of the recipes I found on CC. While buying mini-marshmallows I saw the multicolored minis and thought that would create a tan base color for my darker browns and blacks. Well it worked! It made almost a light flesh color, very exciting. So then I took it a step further and separated the mini-marshmallows into pink and orange, and yellow and green. I got a great pink fondant which is a great base to create true reds, and the yellow and green marshmallows made a nice light green fondant. The light green fondant will be a great starting point for those brighter teals and darker green colors. I hope this helps someone else, I've very excited about it, I'm sure it's written somewhere on this site(since so far I have found everything I could ever need here) but anyhow, sorry if I stepped on anyones toes for discovering this after them, but it's all good, and fun! Have a great day and message me if you have any questions.

9 replies
mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 10

Did you notice a difference in taste? It seems like those colored marshmallows are flavored, no? maybe I'm wrong...I hate marshmallows! (fondant, too, but shhhhh, don't tell my clients! It's easier for me to work with than bc). icon_biggrin.gif

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 10

when you mixed all those colors and flavors together how did it taste??? seems to me that it would be awful tapedshut.gif

chaisme Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 10

The marshmallows are fruity sweet, no specific flavor, I know you can buy strawberry marshmallows also, but the fondant I made tastes fine.

cakeaddictunite Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 10

oh sorry I thought you was talking about the kraft marshmellows. each color has a flavor ie~ orange~orange,green~lime,yellow~lemon,pink~strawberry. I cant imagine mixing those flavors and it coming out yummy lol tapedshut.gif what brand did you use? I to would love to have a tan color to be a base for brown and blk MMF

chaisme Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 10

After reading the last post and realizing that I used Kraft marshmallows I went back and tried the fondant again, and made everyone else in the house try it too. I say the flavor on all 3 colors is about the same, slightly fruity as I had said before, I had someone else say it tastes kinda like Juicy Fruit gum, and someone else said Fruit Loops. I suggest making a small batch and judging for yourself. I must say I think its very tasty.

cakeaddictunite Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 10

fruit loops? wow that might get some adults actually eating fondant again!! I'm gonna have to try a batch this weekend. icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:00am
post #8 of 10

I have used the pink MM's (at Valentine's time) and Chocolate swirl (the mushroom cake in my photos) I also have some caramel swirl ones to try. Can't wait!

The taste on both of those was wonderful! icon_biggrin.gif

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:13am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the info! Which recipe for MMF do you use chaisme?

chaisme Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:40am
post #10 of 10

My recipe I've been using is
4c. mini-marshmallows
4c. powdered sugar
2-4T water
crisco
Microwave the mini-marshmallows with 2T water 30 seconds at a time till melted. Add 3c. powdered sugar to melted marshmallows stir in, add last cup of sugar, stir and then turn out onto a crisco greased surface, make sure your hands are well greased too and knead until it is smooth and shiney. If it gets sticky grease your hands again and keep kneading.
I found this recipe somewhere on CC and so far it has work very well, and tastes great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%