I Hate My New Ka Mixer Because >>>>

Decorating By partysafe Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm by minniepiper

partysafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partysafe Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:24am
post #1 of 38

(1) ----- the bowl does not spin like other mixers --------

(2) ----- you cant scrape the bowl while it's mixing like you can with all other brands of cheapo mixers!

The tedious instructions say in order to scrape you must "turn off mixer, UNPLUG, raise the arm, scrape, then lower the arm, REPLUG, turn on mixer, etc etc blah blah blah ....... you have to repeat this process over and over in order scrape. What am I missing here? This cant be for real in the world's most deluxe and expensive high quality best of the best mixers called Kitchen Aid!

I'll stick to my OLDER THAN DIRT Sunbeam from the 60's and pray for a Mixmaster revival of the ORIGINAL model, not the flimsy ones now being produced.

Am I the only one who is disappointed with KA? thumbsdown.gif

37 replies
AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 38

You don't have to unplug it. That's more of a warning for people who don't think.

Buy yourself a Beater Blade www.beaterblade.com and you won't have to scrape anymore. They're awesome.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 38

Yeah, I don't unplug mine every time I need to scrape...good Lord! That would be a lot of work & time wasted, IMO...I don't have a beater blade yet, but it's on my wish list! icon_wink.gif
In the meantime, I'll lower the bowl and scrape while it's plugged in. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 38

No, i don't switch off and unplug - good grief, i would be standing there for twice as long - icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

But do invest in a beater blade - well worth the money - thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
When i am not using the BB i just raise the mixer, quick scrape around and lower it again and off i go again.

Bluehue

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 38

Unplug? Sounds like a lawyer got some input on the instructions. Unless you're likely to forget and turn it on while there is still something in the bowl (like your hand!), don't wory about unplugging it.

The bowl doesn't spin because the beater has planetary rotation.

txdiann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txdiann Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 38

I agree the beater blade has defineately been worth the money. Cuts mixing time down, since you don't have to stop and scrape down the bowl! So glad my dh got me one for Christmas!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 38

I love my KA's.

With the models I have I'm able to get a spatula down along the sides to scrape down batter/icing, it just takes some practice.

My first KA is over 20 yrs old and still works like a dream, only problem is it's small capacity. That's the only reason I purchased a 2nd.

But I still use my first one every week.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 38

I love my KA. I got the beater blade for x-mas and LOVE it!
Unplug? Maybe if your KA is haunted...

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 38

I love my beater blade too, but I was told using it will void my KA warrantee.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 38

= how odd - as i bought mine from a KA outlet.
Not disputinmg you at all just that i have never heard that - *gulp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

How odd, as i bought mine from the same place as i bought my KA and they had a BB sitting attached to the KA on show.
Not diputing you at all - just that i haven't heard of that - *gulp*

Bluehue

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 38

I know that I am in the minority here, but I do not like the beater blade icon_surprised.gif .
I DO however, LOVE my KA!

I use Sugarshack's BC - lots of scraping going on! I just use these handy dandy spatulas, picked them up at Ingle's. The packaging said for removing the last bit of mayo from the jar.

As far as the warnings/instructions - the tag on my hairdryer warns against using it in the shower... icon_confused.gif

Odd, I can't seem to get the pic to uplaod. At any rate, they are skinny, and somewhat flexible, but the scraping end is pretty stiff.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 38

Unplug? That's just silly. And I can get a spatula in there with the thing running. You just have to be careful. Generally, I do stop the machine and lower the bowl, but not always.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 38

I never unplug and do the same as Leah..You get used to when you can stick the spatula in..I've ratched a few old spatulas but nothing serious...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 38

A bowl that spins? icon_confused.gif Can't say that I've ever seen one that does that. Oh, the Lucy Ricardo scenarios THAT brings to my mind! icon_lol.gif

Agree .... don't unplug. That ranks right up there with "don't use a blow dryer in the shower".

I've always been confused about all of this shutting down to scrape the bowl thing. Do folks really have to scrape their bowl that often? icon_confused.gif I rarely rarely have a need to scrape the bowl .... I let the mixer do the work. My bowl gets scraped when I'm emptying it.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 38

I can't see a reason why the bowl would need to spin. And I agree with the others that the Beater Blade is awesome. I have one for each of my KA's and I love not having to scrape the bowls. Those things are worth every penny.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

I can't see a reason why the bowl would need to spin. And I agree with the others that the Beater Blade is awesome. I have one for each of my KA's and I love not having to scrape the bowls. Those things are worth every penny.

I have a mixer that the bowl spins and it does my head in, it won't beat unless the bowl is spinning and that's a seperate switch to operate and take twice as long if you need to turn it off in a hurry. Grrr!!!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

= how odd - as i bought mine from a KA outlet.
Not disputinmg you at all just that i have never heard that - *gulp*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

How odd, as i bought mine from the same place as i bought my KA and they had a BB sitting attached to the KA on show.
Not diputing you at all - just that i haven't heard of that - *gulp*

Bluehue

I hadn't heard that either but the store that sold it to my hubby said it would as it is harder on the motor (or something like that)

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #18 of 38

I don't have a beater blade (although after reading this I may have to invest) but I don't shut my machine down. I have the lifting bowl also. I find if I'm more patient it scrapes itself down. I used to hover and hover and think--UGH I HAVE TO SCRAPE THIS DOWN--but since I have 2 kids, one day I walked away from the machine went to check on my 3 year old and came back and lo and behold I didn't need to scrape it down icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm
post #19 of 38

I had a Sunbeam with a spinning bowl, and I thought I wanted a KA... but I agree with the OP- I would use my spinning bowl over the KA, it drives me crazy and it seems so much smaller then the Sunbeam... maybe it's because it's what we're used to icon_razz.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #20 of 38

I have the sunbeam spinning mixer and the KA with the scraper blade. I'll take the KA anyday over the sunbeam and the bowl of the sunbeam is smaller than the 5qt KA. Oh and it's the heavy duty "commercial" sunbeam. I hate that spinning bowl. I hate standing there having to scrape with the sunbeam and that spinning bowl if the ingredients get built up then it won't spin so not only do you have to scrape the bowl you have spin it along at the same time...noway KA all the way, no way KA all the way...lol..get the scraper blade, I got the heavy duty one and I love it.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #21 of 38

I've never heard of a mixer with a spinning bowl icon_confused.gif Anyway, I scrape while that thing is on high. Just scrape around, works best when it's going. I learned that one from Sugarshack's youtube showing how she makes her BC. icon_smile.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:44am
post #22 of 38

I guess I never read the directions on my KA cause I didn't know anything about unplugging icon_confused.gif ...however, that seems like overkill to me, sort of like "don't use your electric toothbrush while sleeping", or your "hairdryer in the shower"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I want to get a beater blade. I can't imagine that they would void the warranty though, since KA makes and sells them on their website. Unless it's an after-market one. My KA is way out of warranty anyway, and still the very best money I ever spent! thumbs_up.gif I went with the 6qt and I can't remember how I ever did cakes without it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #23 of 38

I have a KA Pro 600 and use a beater blade. I love it!

I lower the bowl gently while it's mixing and I never, ever scrape anything until I'm cleaning off the blade when I'm finished. I can't believe how nice & smooth my icing is!

RAe

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #24 of 38

I know the mixer you are talking about. Got one at a garage sale. There is a HUGE difference. Believe me. Once you start using the KA you will like it a lot more. One main reason is you don't have to scrape it hardly ever, unlike the Sunbeam.
I'm not really a KA lover though, but is way better than the Sunbeam.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:47am
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Unplug? Sounds like a lawyer got some input on the instructions. Unless you're likely to forget and turn it on while there is still something in the bowl (like your hand!), don't wory about unplugging it.

Yeah. Shampoo, rinse. Repeat. No thanks.

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #26 of 38

Funny. Sounds like the instructions to take the baby out of the stroller before folding it. I definitely think they were just trying to prevent being sued in case someone got hurt. I do not ever unplug my KA before I scrape it down.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #27 of 38

I grew up with a KA and my mom also had the old style with the bowl rotating...no other mixer for me but KA. Yes I'm with everyone, I do not unplug my KA when I need to scrape...but I do not scrape as much.
BB was on my xmas list but I didn't get it...but still number 1 on my list to get.

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #28 of 38

Do you actually think your old mixer's manual says something along the lines of "go ahead and scrape while the engine is still running"???

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #29 of 38

Never never place a scraper in the bowl while mixer is running.......get your fingers caught just once, you wont go there again hehe...I know...first thing mom tells you, "do not stick that spoon in there with mixer running" hmmmm....oops
My bowl does not spin, in fact it locks in place, and I love the new whip with the ability to scrape the bottom icon_wink.gif

partysafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partysafe Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:18pm
post #30 of 38

WOW! Thank you everybody for telling me about beater blades which I never heard of. I just ordered one online and know the $ 30 will be well worth it.

... and thx CC for this fabulous HIGHLY ADDICTIVE website, lol.

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%