Bottles Or Bags?

Baking By cakedesigner59 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 11:39pm by luv2bake6

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if you all would weigh in on whether you use parchment bags, cloth bags or if you use squeeze bottles to decorate your cookies. I broke down and bought special bottles for decorating, and they worked ok, but my thumb went completely numb. It's been 2 hrs since I stopped and it's still numb. Weird. Hope it comes back! Anyway, let me know what you all think. Never had this problem with bags. I just thought the bottles would be less messy. I'm soaking them now, but can't get the icing out of the bottom of them! grrrr.

10 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #2 of 11

I sometimes use bottle with big opening.. or a really prefer to use a small spatula and a bowl.. way more faster! (I outline first and then fill).

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 11

I like the plastic squeezie bottles from Wilton. They are firm but flexible. My hands have never hurt after using them. I only use the plastic decorating bags with a round tip to outline.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 11

I like bags. I too had numb thumb syndrome after using bottles (that was the first and last time). You can put the bottles in the top rack of your dishwasher for a quick clean up.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #5 of 11

I only did 12 cookies and my thumb went berzerk. I guess I need to go back to parchment bags, but they always oooze over for me.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 11

I use plastic ziplock bags...

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:40am
post #7 of 11

I use the disposable decorating bags. (But I'm kinda cheap...I wash them out and re-use them until my project is finished). I feel I have better control with the bag. Maybe because I got used to using them for cake decorating, and I'm a creature of habit.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:40am
post #8 of 11

Bottles with the small opening - I think I have 8 or 10 of them now. I heat the candy melts in them too. My local cake store didn't have any and I ended up getting some for $.99 at WalMart (with the utensils). The only time I've used parchment is when I made tassles on graduation caps. I cut one tip larger to spread strawberry jam in between heart cookies with a "heart hole" in the top cookie. I use them whenever I can. I clean mine with a bottle brush. To clean the candy melts out of them, you just put in the freezer for a bit and it cracks right out.

jrosebud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrosebud Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:51am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by verono

I sometimes use bottle with big opening.. or a really prefer to use a small spatula and a bowl.. way more faster! (I outline first and then fill).

I like to use a spoon/spatula, too. And I use a paintbrush to smooth my icing when need be.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #10 of 11

I use brushes to paint the icing onto the cookies.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 11

I use a small spoon to ice the cookies and let them dry. I then used decorating bags to pipe details and borders, but i happen to like those squeeze bottles now because they are easy to clean and less costly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%