Cake Pops Disaster

Decorating By Kia333 Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm by Kia333

Kia333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kia333 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 10

Why is it that my cake balls crack after the candy melts has dried?
I form the balls, take a stick, dip it into the candy melts, poke the cake ball, then dip the whole thing into candy melts, then turn it right side up and stick into styrofoam so it dries. Once it dries, the candy melts CRACK!!!
icon_sad.gif(

9 replies
cakesrpretty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrpretty Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 10

I use callebaut chocolate instead of candy melts and i dont have a problem. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 10

Add a little shortening to your melts, they are less brittle that way and maybe won't crack?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 10

I find that if I let the cake ball sit in the fridge/freezer too long before coating with the chocolate, once it comes to room temperature, the cake releases and spreads out, therefore, busting through the chocolate.

So, I let them sit a few minutes on the counter before coating.

Also, I use Almond Bark (from Kroger) and Walmart sells Candy Coating/Chocolate Coating...can't remember what it's called. But, I've found that candy melts from Acmoore/Micheals won't spread as easily. I guess the shortening would work, but I havent' had much luck with it.

Kia333 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks a lot guys. Im going to give all those suggestions a whirl tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_smile.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 10

I agree - try different chocolate. Merckens is pretty good. I personally won't even look at Wilton. (just my own taste!)
icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 10

niccicola - I use the same almond bark from Kroger and I love it. I think my favorite part of it is being able to use small pieces at a time instead of waiting for big amounts to melt.

I've also found that if my center isn't moist enough, then the chocolate will crack. It took me a few tried to get that down.

niccicola Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 10

Double post sorry!!O

niccicola Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 10

Yes! I love the bark that is in the bricks. So much easier, as you said, to do a little at a time. I've also found that 1 package of bark will coat appoximately 35-50 cake pops depending on the size. I make mine about golf ball size (I sell them at $2 a piece and try to make them cake slice serving size) and can coat about 35 easily, 40 if I really dig it out!

And what about an unmoist center would cause cracking? The cake can't hold itself up within the chocolate?

Kia333 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 10

So. After testing the two suggestions I came to the following conclusion.
1. Adding shortening only loosens the melts and keeps the exterior softer than the usual hardening - not very desirable.
2. Dunking frozen cake balls in the melts leads to the exterior cracking. Leaving them out for a few minutes after removing them from the freezer is key for them not to crack. The tricky part is knowing how long to leave them sit.
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%