A Comparison Of Sweetex & Tbk's Hi-Ratio...

Decorating By FlourPots Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm by JustToEatCake

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 8

AH...NEVER MIND...

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

The most surprising thing I came away with...is that neither of the hi-ratio's were any better than plain old Crisco, in my opinion.
I was expecting to be blown away or to be able to see and taste something different, something better...I didn't. I honestly didn't.

The difference between hi-ratio and Crisco is that hi-ratio has more emulsifiers.

In order to compare the two, it would be necessary to compare the PERFORMANCE results under conditions which would make the differences observable.

1. Was the hi-ratio buttercream able to absorb more liquid than the Crisco without breaking down. (Did you use more liquid in the hi-ratio b/c recipe or the same amount you used for the Crisco recipe.)

2. Did you expose the two buttercreams to hot/humid conditions and observe which was the first to break down.

Taste testing isn't a valid comparison because both hi-ratio and Crisco are made with the same ingredients... It's just that the hi-ratio has more emulsifiers, sort of like Crisco on steroids - which doesn't affect the taste (bland) just the PERFORMANCE.

HTH

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 8

Flavor difference isn't huge, but mouth feel IS and I can't stand that disgusting greasy coating left in my mouth when using Crisco. Hi-ratio shortening doesn't do that. My experience is that it also makes a whiter, fluffier icing and it's all I use for a shortening-based buttercream.

JanH Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Flavor difference isn't huge, but mouth feel IS and I can't stand that disgusting greasy coating left in my mouth when using Crisco.

Of course, (duh) icon_redface.gif that's the No. 1 reason most switch from Crisco to hi-ratio. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Flavor difference isn't huge, but mouth feel IS and I can't stand that disgusting greasy coating left in my mouth when using Crisco. Hi-ratio shortening doesn't do that. My experience is that it also makes a whiter, fluffier icing and it's all I use for a shortening-based buttercream.

I also tasted my Sweetex and my Crisco raw side by side, eating a piece of bread in between and before the first taste and I couldn't tell one bit of difference in mouth feel. I did it twice (just today). I tried to time the length of time it took for the feel to leave my mouth and it was the same for both. I encourage everyone to do their own test. I haven't tested it heat wise though, but I think as soon as I get a chance I'll do that. To me there has to be a reason it's been so popular all these years (unless it was different in the beginning) but I can't seem to find that difference yet either. All information is good information, no?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 8

Your able to squeeze more liquid into a HR shortening. That's the difference.

Mike

JanH Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I also tasted my Sweetex and my Crisco raw side by side, eating a piece of bread in between and before the first taste and I couldn't tell one bit of difference in mouth feel.

As most people don't eat small amounts of "raw" icon_lol.gif shortening with bread, I don't feel that that's a valid test for mouth feel.

I could eat small amounts of mayo and Miracle Whip on bread and have the same results. However, in larger amounts as in a dressing for pasta salad - I would notice that the mayo dressing was greasier, while the Miracle Whip dressing was sweeter....

Think a more scientific approach would be to judge the mouth feel of both ingredients used in the same shortening frosting recipe which most have labelled "greasy" and see if the hi-ratio is also "greasy."

Quote:

All information is good information, no?

For sure. thumbs_up.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

I also tasted my Sweetex and my Crisco raw side by side, eating a piece of bread in between and before the first taste and I couldn't tell one bit of difference in mouth feel.

As most people don't eat small amounts of "raw" icon_lol.gif shortening with bread, I don't feel that that's a valid test for mouth feel.

I could eat small amounts of mayo and Miracle Whip on bread and have the same results. However, in larger amounts as in a dressing for pasta salad - I would notice that the mayo dressing was greasier, while the Miracle Whip dressing was sweeter....

Think a more scientific approach would be to judge the mouth feel of both ingredients used in the same shortening frosting recipe which most have labelled "greasy" and see if the hi-ratio is also "greasy."

Quote:

All information is good information, no?

For sure. thumbs_up.gif

I didn't eat it on the bread. I ate the bread to clean out my mouth before trying the raw shortening so I didn't mix the two effects/taste.

Flourpots says she has tasted them in the icing mixes.

That's a good idea about finding a recipe that does taste greasy and try it with the sweetex. Having said that, if Crisco doesn't taste greasy (and holds up for someone's needs) then it might work just as well as the sweetex using some recipes. I wish we had a chemist that had all the info and could tell us exactly what is what..I have an inquiring mind...lol..I just have a hard time because as hard as we are searching for the answers there just doesn't seem to be (yet) any glowing difference and it seems a bit hard to justify, for me, if I can't find the difference, ya know?

I will say that when I make Indy's recipe with Sweetex (never used crisco) I do have to have more water/fluid than her recipe calls for. I think I'll do another recipe this week, if I can get time, and make it with crisco and see how much fluid it takes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%