Any Crooked Cake Tips????

Decorating By Butterfly325 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm by pattycakesnj

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:59am
post #1 of 6

Hello! My sister-in-law is getting married in Oct and she would like a topsy turvy cake. I am of course going to practice a few before I make hers (my co-workers enjoy my practice cakes), but does anyone have any tips??? We were looking through the cake disasters and found that many of them were topsy turvy gone wrong and they all mentioned they would never do it again. Is it really that difficult??? And what sizes do I use to feed about 250 people?? TIA

5 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 6

If it's for a wedding cake, I would encourage you to consider buying Sugarshack's DVD about Topsy Turvy Cakes (sugaredproductions.com). I have never tried one but probably won't until I get her video. Good luck!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with cherrycakes, get the DVD before you practice. I plan to order the DVD, then practice a topsy turvey for my willing co-workers!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

Sharon's DVD's are excellent (I now have all of them!), but I made the 2 I have done before I bought her DVDs. I followed BKeith's steps that are in the articles here at CC. The one thing that messes folks up (IMO) is not cutting the hole big enough for the next tier to set down in. (which causes the cake underneath to collapse) I even did mine in buttercream instead of fondant and didn't have any trouble. Check out the article, and if you have any questions, just ask!

In the ones I did, I would have gotten sharper edges (I think) if I had done them in fondant. I am still happy with how they turned out.

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

thanks guys icon_biggrin.gif I'll definitely look into the dvds and article

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 6

they are not that hard but definitely get sugarshacks dvd on TT, well worth it for the instructions and other helpful hints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%