What You Think About This?

Decorating By IrisC Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 1:18am by Deb_

IrisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrisC Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #1 of 7

My nephew is getting marry, my sister in law ask me to make the wedding cake and the groom cake. The wedding cake was a three tier cake with separators, the sizes 6x4,10x4,14x4, and the grooms it was a horse, the head and part of the body on 3-D, using pans size 12x18,11x15. I have to travel 4 hour to the reception,and set up the cakes, also I need to rent a room for the night. Considering it was for the family I as for $700.00 for both of the cakes, and my sister in law said that it was to much money, that she was making numbers and she said that with $150.00 she can make the cakes, so I told her go for it. Do you think it was to much money?, because I don't thing so; it is for other person I will ask at list $1700.00 or more for both of the cakes. So what you think about this?

IrisC

6 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 7

tell her to have fun making the cakes. Rember to take lots of pictures for cakewreck blog !!!

Okay...you were being VERY generous in my book. I would however..(in good spirits..so not to cause tension between you) tell her that when her cakes flop...and they will flop... that you will give her a discount for the last minute cake preparation ...a bargain basement price of 1000.00.

I have had people give me the same comments.. and when they come calling... my evil twin...I TOLD YOU SO.. comes out to play. I have noticed that it is only with family that you get that kind of reaction...

because my clients tell if a cake is too much for their budget and then they ask how they can alter the cake/size/ deco. to fit the budget.

Don't let the family take advantage.. you did right in sticking up for yourself !! GO GIRL !!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #3 of 7

I think you should trust your judgement. You came up with a price you were comfortable with and she didn't want to pay it. Let her do it. It was a lot of cake, a lot of decorating, a lot of travel and hastle. You are probably better off without it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 7

Sounds like SIL thought you would do it for cost for family. I'm glad you stuck to your qoute. It will be much nicer for you to go and enjoy the wedding with out having to put in days of work ahead of time for very little in return.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 7

I'd tell her to be sure and send me pics of her final product. icon_evil.gif

IrisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrisC Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 7

Well, my sister in Law call me and told me that she have solve the problem with the cake, that she has found someone that have a cake business close to her and offer to make the wedding cakes 6", 8", 12" for $150.00 plus the grooms for $50.00 with a horse picture, so the hole thing will be for $200.00. I told her that the cake that I was offering her it was way bigger than that, and the wedding cake it was not $700.00, that the price was combine for the two cakes and EACH cake it was for more than 100 people, and the grooms cake it was 3-D. But that I was glad she found someone that gave her a gift as a cake. Now let see what kind of cake she get, if is a Birthday Cake as a Wedding Cake, if you know what I mean!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #7 of 7

This is for your nephew?

I give my nieces/nephew their wedding cakes as their wedding gift. Maybe your SIL was thinking that you'd offer to do it as a gift?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%