Cake Mix Extender Recipe Help Needed!

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 12

I think I am going to use the cake mix extender recipe, but I need to know if all the "additions" are for ONE cake mix. I am making a 12X18 sheet cake, and need to know if all the additions should be doubled for the TWO boxes of cake mix I am going to use? Plus, all total I only have 8oz sour cream and 8oz yogurt, so 16oz total. Will this be ok? Should I add all the "additions" to one cake mix, and then use my other cake mix without the additions? I also have a 3rd box I could use, but I DONT have enough to make the "additions" into the 3rd box cause I would be out of the sour cream/yogurt. I don't know why I'm freaking out, but I do know I have a deadline of a few hours so any help is appreciated!!

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 12

Which recipe are you using?

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1977/cake-mix-extender

it calls for 16 oz sour cream, I only have a small 8oz container and one 8oz container of french vanilla yogurt so I would be good if I only need to add these additions to one of the cake mix boxes, but I don't know if it would be ok to only add 8oz to each cake mix recipe for a total of 16 oz added?

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 12

If you are doubling that then you need to add some of both to get the 16oz. I can't see how it will hurt for you to mix them both. I have baked them with both sour cream and yogurt and can't see a difference in the two.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 12

so each cake mix needs to have the full 16oz in it? What do you think would happen if I only added 8oz to one cake mix?

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 12

Maybe this will help clarify: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc. It seems to be the most popular cake mix extender recipe.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

so each cake mix needs to have the full 16oz in it? What do you think would happen if I only added 8oz to one cake mix?

No.

Single cake mix recipe -

Prepare (ONE) cake mix as per package directions. In addition to this add,
1 egg
1 cup flour
250 ml (or 8 oz.) sour cream or yogurt (I prefer to use low fat yogurt)
1 cup white sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring

or

Double cake mix recipe -

Prepare (TWO) cake mix as per package directions. In addition to this add,
2 egg
2 cup flour
16 oz sour cream or yogurt (I prefer to use low fat yogurt)
2 cup white sugar
2/3 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 12

oh doh! Thanks texas sugar! I guess I am getting to frantic and not paying attention! icon_redface.gif

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 12

Happens to the best of us. icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 12

LOL well, I wouldn't put myself up there with the best of everyone on here but I really should have caught that!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 12

I will read a single recipe and start to double it, only to get half way through it and realise that I reverted back to the single recipe. That is why I always write the double measurements out now on the side. icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 12

that's a smart idea. Sometimes I just get to carried away trying to juggle 100 things at once instead of just simply focusing on the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%