"but Mom, Duff Could Do It!"

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 2:03am by cookiemama2

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 15

So my girlfriend called about me making a Buzz Lightyear cake for her son who is turning 4. I was asking her for details - does he want Buzz on top of the cake? Does he want the cake to be in the shape of Buzz? etc.

So she asks him and he says "I want to push a button on the cake and have the wings pop out." icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

I laughed and told her I'm good, but I don't think I'm that good!
Anyway, so I'm sharing this story with my family at dinner and my 5 yr old DD says "Well mom why don't you just make the wings out of fondant?"

I was explaining that I didn't think I could actually make a cake like that and my (adorable icon_rolleyes.gif ) 7 yr old son pipes up and tells me "But mom, Duff could do it."

14 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 15

I hear that alot! I am not ready for that stuff yet!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:26am
post #3 of 15

LOL LOL LOL...ok, thinking NO...no popping out wings...LOL!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 15

ha ha ha...............thats funny !!!!

So I have a 3 yr. old and of course I make his cake. So My friend invites us to her son's Bday party and just like me Im always interested in seeing the cake.

so we go to set the gift down and there was her cake right next to the gift table and my son goes to the cake and is looking at it, so then , I grabbed his hand, to go back to our table as we are walking to our table my baby goes "Mom" And Im like what happen? And he goes " The cake esta feo huh " lol (him and his spanglish, said Mom, the cake is ugly huh !!)

I was like OMG , I was baby that the cake he liked, he choose his the same as you choose the one for your bday. Hes like well I dont like it .

But my goodness Kids can be good critics (And my friend had a nice looking cupcake cake from SAMS )

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #5 of 15

hahahahahahahahahahaha! ROFL!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 15

oh yeah, my DD went to her freinds bday party and her friend is very excited about her "purse" cake. When my DD sees it she says my mom can make a real purse cake. THe little girls cake had a photo of a cute little girl purse on it. SHe was as happy as a clam with her cake, mine not so impressed, lol. Yeah they become cake critics, lol.

Vic

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 15

HAHAHAHA Kids say the darnest things don't they....

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 15

Oh yeah...our kids are so spoiled as far as cakes are concerned. Mine don't get excited about seeing a barbie doll grocery style cake or even like the taste. They now know better, they are educated in this area and know we Moms are the experts. Isn't that right, ladies??

p.s. I'm glad my kids have not made a comment out loud...keeping my fingers crossed.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 15

It gets worse, mine are 18, 22 and 24. My 22 year old daughter is turning 23 this month and she is renting a cabin in tahoe and all her friends are going up. Thought I was getting out of making a cake this year. Last week she asks me to make her cake. I tell her she will be traveling with it so that limits how elaborite ( I probably spelled that wrong) it can be. She says well, everyone is expecting you to top last years lumberjack cake. She had a lumberjack theme party and I made a tree trunk with an ax in the top.
She already has her wedding cake designed and no fiance or steady boyfriend.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 15

I luv it when that stuff happens! 7-yr old granddaughter wanted a Jonas Bros cake for her birthday. Her mom (my daughter) asked her, "Now if Banna (her name for 'gramma' for me) can't do a Jonas Bros, what else would you want.

Granddaughter folds arms, gives her mom that "oh you are so stupid!" look and says, "Banna can do it! Just go tell her!"

This is the same granddaughter who is fine eating the lemon cookies her mom makes, but on Christmas Eve she's GOT to have Banna's lemon cookies or she is honestly afraid that Santa won't leave her as many presents! icon_biggrin.gif

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 15

This reminds me of when I took my daughter to her cousins house to cut a cake for her first birthday. I did not make the cake for that evening because I was making a two tiered cake for the party over the weekend. My three y/o asked my who was making the cake and I replied they bought one at the store. She then giggled and very confidently told me that stores do not make cakes, mommies do! I had to chuckle.....

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 15

Mommies and Grammas can do just about anything they set their mind to!

lildivadesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildivadesi Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:41am
post #13 of 15

haha Im 15 and my little 2 and a half yr old nephew is always looking at cakes online with me saying "desi make me that cake!" and i will say i dont know if i can do it. and he says "but your the cake boss desi!"

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:51am
post #14 of 15

I just started making cakes, and I wouldn't say I'm that great yet. However, I made cakes for a friend on mine's sons birthdays and they loved them.

The other day, said mom tells her boys that she is going to try to make a cake like one I did and her oldest (10) said, "don't kid yourself Mom, you are no Mrs. S.!"

It continued through the night with him telling his dad in a "poor pitiful Mom thinks she can do this" tone. Made me laugh and feel great too! icon_smile.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 2:03am
post #15 of 15

I've had my nieces over and we've played around with cookies, cupcakes...
so when my sister-in-law was making cupcakes for my nieces to take to school and they kept telling her thats not how Aunt Lisa does it! Its a wonder she talks to me anymore.
My daughter likes to help to and I once spent a parent teacher interview talking cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%