Help! Picture Explosion!

Decorating By princesitarita Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm by mckaren

princesitarita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesitarita Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I'm looking for help with a picture cake. How can I make the picture look like it's exploding out of the cake?

Thanks!

6 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 7

What do you mean by a picture cake? If you are using fondant, put a layer of fondant under the area you want the explosion to be, then cover the whole cake with fondant and slice through the top layer of fondant like you would a pizza - an asterix shape - and then peel back each wedge. I hope that helps.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 7

Do you mean something like this? Then, yes, what Melnick said. icon_smile.gif
LL

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 7

If you look on my pics, theres a transformers cake, where I also did an effect like the book cake above. I did it by making the transformers plaque, then put it on the cake and placed a square of greaseproof paper over it. then I cover the cake in the main fondant colour. then took a craft knife and made like a star cut in the middle, over the greaseproof paper, and peeled back the edges. I was able to ease the paper out once the edges were all back. I dried them with various sizes of balled up plastic wrap underneath them so that some dried standing on end and some more peeled back. If that makes sense lol! icon_smile.gif

princesitarita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesitarita Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for these ideas! Now how about with buttercream...is there any possibility with buttercream to do this effect. The idea of the cake is to put a picture graphic on the cake and make it appear as if it is exploding out. A local grocery store is going to put the photo on the special sugar paper.

Thanks!

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 7

Hi, I dont know how you would do this with butter cream, someone more clever might come and advise you!

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know if you can get buttercream stiff enough to make the wedges hold up. You could try royal icing runouts and dry them over a rolling pin to get the curve or modelling chocolate in the colour you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%