Designing A Cake...

Decorating By chasley101 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm by JanH

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a program that you can design your own cake. As of right now I've been going into MS Paint and trying to make something there. What programs do you all use or do you free hand it? I'm not good at drawing at all!! - How I can decorate cakes... I don't know! A lot of tracing! LOL!!

But I want to be able to design what my customer is wanting and then give her pics. For brides I want to be able to design it right there at our meeting.

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

have you looked at all the coloring page style templates in the templates gallery?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

Personally, I prefer to hand-sketch. I know there ARE some computer design softwares out there, but I don't know the names or how easy they are to use. I'm fairly certain they are ALL much more pricey (and ultimately more limited) than a sketch pad and a box of colored pencils.

You really don't have to be a perfect artist to draw out a cake sketch. Afterall, it just needs to be a guide for you when you are making the cake and to give a client a rough idea of what it will look like. It doesn't have to be a life-like cake portrait!

Cake tiers, be they round or square, are basically just boxes. For flowers and other decorative elements you can use symbols. Draw a star to represent a rose, for example. Think of it as drawing a very simplistic map, like you did back in elementary school social studies class.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 5

There's a program called Wedding Cake Design Pro that some people use.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 5

Sketch up program is discussed in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-656839-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%