Air Brushing(Not)

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 6:06pm by Jenbud

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 3

Is there any way to get the airbrushing effect on the outside of a cake without an airbrush??? I don't own one and am not planning on purchasing one.....but I need to make a camo pattern on the outside of a cake for a groom's cake........can i paint it somehow? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

2 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 3

If you want a true "airbrush" effect, unfortunately, you have to use an airbrush.
Some brand (Wilt*n?) has a spray color...bought one once...and honestly, it is something I would only use again as a last resort & if I had a gun held to my head, (I don't have an airbrush either). The spray was spattery and inconsistant in color and coverge at best.

You can always paint. Sure. It won't have the same effect, but thats the trade off for not paying the big bucks for an airbrush.

Another option...tint some fondant in the few different camo colors you want to use...place a few "globs" of the different colored fondants close together and try rolling them out. That way they will adhere together smoothly. Note: I have never tried it, but it might give you another option.
Sounds good in my head...LOL

Good Luck

Jenbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenbud Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 3

I will also be doing a camouflage cake soon. If you are interested in hunting camo, try looking at denascakes.com under demonstations. She has simple instructions for camo using fondant. She does airbrush a little but most of it is not. I think you could paint the airbrushed parts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%