Can You Make Buttercreme Sparkly?

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm by poohsmomma

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 8

I have a customer that wants the look of fondant but buttercreme. I have toyed w/the idea of adding luster dust to BC but not sure how that would work out.

Any tips?

Thanks!

7 replies
ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 8

Well, I wouldn't add luster dust to the buttercream. But you could sprinkle white edible glitter on the buttercream after its iced and smoothed.

Or, if you have an airbrush, there are pearl sheen sprays that can be sprayed on the buttercream.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #3 of 8

Doesn't everybody want the look of fondant only buttercream, haha icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif [/b][/i]

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 8

you can get buttercream to look like fondant using a few differant methods... I use the Viva paper towels... to get buttercream do shine use vodka and pearl dust... it takes time you have to spray a bit let that dry and then spary more do this till you get the sheen you want... Here is a pic of a cake I sprayed about 12 times.
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #5 of 8

When you mix luster dust into buttercream, it just blends in and disappears. You can brush luster dust onto buttercream after it has crusted well, with a big soft paintbrush. It will highlight imperfections if there are any, though.

If you want the buttercream as smooth as fondant, try the Melvira method.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #6 of 8

I use a very soft paint bursh and a cup of warm water not to much water on bursh.

YoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YoCake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 8

One of my decorators discovered that you can in fact luster dust buttercream, and we do it all the time. You just let the iced cake get very cold in the fridge for an hour or more. When the icing is really stiff, you can take lemon extract, mix it with luster dust, and then brush it on, or even airbrush it on. The downfall is that lemon extract could affect the taste of the buttercream a little, but not much. It comes out really really cool.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 8

You can also buy a pearl spray. I sprayed this bc cake with it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1514481

The problem is that every tiny imperfection in the bc is highlighted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%