Can A Smbc Under Fondant Cake Stay "out" For 2 Day

Decorating By kathik Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 4:44pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 31

I have a very large cake to make and it won't fit in a fridge once assembled. It is a fondant covered cake and I am trying to decide what frosting to use. I prefer SMBC, but I wasn't sure if I should do this. I would be covering the cake on Thursday night, and serving it on Saturday afternoon.

The cake is for the first weekend in February, so it certainly won't be hot.

Thanks,
Kathi

30 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 31

I'm sure others will disagree, but I would not do that.

kathik Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #3 of 31

Anyone else??

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 31

Well, you clearly didn't like the answer that you got, so I'll give you a different answer.

Sure. Go ahead. Sounds like a really great idea. I'm sure the health department would agree, too.

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:07am
post #5 of 31

I don't think I would do it... I'm not a big user of SMBC though so someone else may know better! icon_smile.gif

kathik Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #6 of 31

I wasn't looking for a specific answer, just more than one person to comment.

I'm not sure why you felt you needed to slam me. As you well know there are many opinions and levels of expertise on this forum. I was hoping someone with the specific experience using SMBC under fondant would give me an answer, and not just an "I wouldn't do that" which sounds like a personal preference, but more of a "yes, the sugar will keep it preserved if it is in a cool area" or "no, even though the egg whites are cooked and there is plenty of sugar, it still would be dangerous".

I'm open to all honest answers.

Thanks,
Kathi

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #7 of 31

SMBC can sit out at room temp for several days with no issues. We've eaten cakes that are 4 or more days old that were iced in SMBC. The eggs are cooked and butter can sit out for ages. I leave butter out constantly. We like to have softened butter. It'll be just fine.

Jodie

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:44am
post #8 of 31

using pasterized egg whites is a good idea to be that bit safer cose I want to leave IMBC out and decided to get some of the pasturized ones so i can

mommyle Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #9 of 31

http://www.baking911.com/howto/meringues.htm

Sorry for being so *itchy. My crisis is not your problem. Hope this helps.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

I wasn't looking for a specific answer, just more than one person to comment.
I'm not sure why you felt you needed to slam me. As you well know there are many opinions and levels of expertise on this forum. I was hoping someone with the specific experience using SMBC under fondant would give me an answer, and not just an "I wouldn't do that" which sounds like a personal preference, but more of a "yes, the sugar will keep it preserved if it is in a cool area" or "no, even though the egg whites are cooked and there is plenty of sugar, it still would be dangerous".
I'm open to all honest answers.
Thanks,
Kathi

Ok, sugar will not preserve it, and the whites aren't cooked. Do one thing for sure make sure they are pasturized.

Mike

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 31

Are you able to put the cake in some sort of box and place it in a garage or some other secure/cold area? I do that alot when I don't have space in the fridge.....Of course it's been below zero where I am at.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 31

Not sure, but I do know that it doesn't handle heat well. By heat I mean the hottest day in Ala. with no air conditioner. That break down almost caused me to have a break down.

kathik Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 31

Yes, I will be storing it in an non-airconditioned, unheated area of the building. It will be the first week in February in NC. Average highs for that time are 50-53 degrees. I would use pasteurized whites if I choose to do this.

mommyle, I understand your frustration. We all have days like that! I can't read your link. Would you mind reposting the part after the "www"?

In the meantime, I found this online chat with Cheryl Kleinman on pastryscoop.com. http://www.pastryscoop.com/onlineChats_wedding1.html
If you go halfway down she says they only use SMBC under their fondant covered cakes and they are fine for a few days at 75 degrees.

Thanks,
Kathi

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 31

Given the nature of our dairy free ingredients I would not leave it out.
Even if the temps are a guaranteed 50°-53° then that's almost as good as in the fridge, but still could pose a very big risk because of the eggs and the parve butter substitute. Both spoil easily and quickly.
The food safety temp for cold food is 41°F They say above that, it can breed bacteria that could make people sick.
Isn't there anywhere you could put it int a fridge somewhere?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 31

My HD won't allow me to sell perishable goods from my licensed kitchen.

During my licensing process I had to submit recipes for approval.

Both SMBC and IMBC were not approved.

I was told that they are not shelf stable, which means they require refrigeration.......therefore I cannot use them.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

kathik Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #16 of 31

Thanks everyone. Yes, dkelley and sadsmile, your information has helped me enormously. I will go with a powdered sugar type frosting. Anyone have a favorite that doesn't require dream whip? I can substitute parve creamer for milk and margarine for butter.

Thanks,
Kathi

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 31

Do the sugar shack recipe I sent ya. You'll be surprised how good it is. i am totally with ya that SMBS IMBC rock but when you have to... ABC

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #18 of 31

I only use SMBC and I would not suggest leaving it out. It is a perishable icing and it is always better to be safe than sorry. My recipe calls for fresh eggs whites. Even though you cook it to temp and so forth, I always have refridgerated my cakes completetly assembled. You could always build and insulated box and get several blocks of dry ice to keep it frozen. I have shipped a cake with dry ice and it stayed chilled for the 24 hour trip. HTH!

Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #19 of 31

I agree with Sadsmile....Sugarshack's recipe is really good. It is not grainy like some ps butter creams, the secret is using the hot liquid.

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 Sweetex hi-ratio when making her recipe and it's really smooth and creamy.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #20 of 31

This is always an interesting topic for me!! Alot of the big name bakeries and cake disigners exclusively use all butter icings under their fondant. So are they refrigerating them after decorated or what. I have said this on another thread, but I just don't have good luck with refrigerating fondant, It gives me real issues, I wish I could because I do like Toba's French Vanilla butter cream, It is to die for. It has no eggs in it but I just wonder how the butter holds up under the fondant. Everyone loves this icing and I really would like to use it more.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

http://www..com/howto/meringues.htm

Sorry for being so *itchy. My crisis is not your problem. Hope this helps.

This link doesnt work.

Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

This is always an interesting topic for me!! Alot of the big name bakeries and cake disigners exclusively use all butter icings under their fondant. So are they refrigerating them after decorated or what. I have said this on another thread, but I just don't have good luck with refrigerating fondant, It gives me real issues, I wish I could because I do like Toba's French Vanilla butter cream, It is to die for. It has no eggs in it but I just wonder how the butter holds up under the fondant. Everyone loves this icing and I really would like to use it more.

When you say "all butter" do you mean IMBC/SMBC or an all butter buttercream?

In the cooler months I use an "all butter" PS butter cream that is shelf stable and approved by my HD.

I was told that the only reason the IMBC/SMBC recipes I submitted weren't approved was because they don't feel that the eggs are cooked enough to be considered safe at room temperature.

But my all butter butter cream (powder sugar type) with no eggs was approved.

I don't refrigerate my fondant cakes because there is nothing in the cake that is perishable.

I know on T.V. we see them refrigerating their fondant cakes all the time, from what I've learned there are some fondants that can be refrigerated successfully. I know SatinIce is one of them.

MissRobin Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #23 of 31

I was referring to the IMBC and the SMBC, and this French Vanilla Buttercream that I have fallen in love with!!! I have made the ps buttercreams with butter also, I have just had such a great response lately from people on the French Vanilla Buttercream, was wondering if it would be worth switching, especially since all my cakes are fondant??? It is made with all butter and a sugar syrup and it is wonderful, so You don't have the egg issue, just wondered how hard it would be to work with the fondant. I tried refrigerating SI fondant, and it was a disaster, I got huge air bubbles, and It was my daughters wedding cake. Needless to say, I was totally freaked out!!!! I guess I can do a trial run and see what happens.

Deb_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 31

Oh no that's awful about your daughter's cake.

I think an important feature with the "pro's" refrigerators is, they are probably humidity controlled professional models made especially for this purpose.

But, I know other baker's on this site refrigerate their SatinIce cakes without issue....they do say it may sweat when first removed from refrigeration but if you don't touch it then it will dry off and be fine.

mommyle Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:54am
post #25 of 31

I have removed a fondant covered cake (MFF) from the freezer, and had no problems at all. The key is to move it to the fridge, then to the counter, and you won't get the condensation. It also helps if your climate is desert-like. Oh, and if it "sweats", DO NOT TOUCH!!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:57am
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

My HD won't allow me to sell perishable goods from my licensed kitchen.

During my licensing process I had to submit recipes for approval.

Both SMBC and IMBC were not approved.

I was told that they are not shelf stable, which means they require refrigeration.......therefore I cannot use them.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Ah, don't you love the government? Especially when they make stupid rules like this one. I say stupid because they are just doing it because they are assuming eggs must always be refrigerated. Which is just not true! Just another example of the government being wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #27 of 31

I use IMBC exclusively. I do start with either pasturized egg whites or meringue powder, but that is so I don't have all those extra yolks. That being said, I only refrigerate my cakes when they have a perishable filling, such as a mousse and I've never had a cake go bad. I hate how paranoid everyone has gotten about food. Makes me wonder how anyone ever survived before refrigeration was invented. According to modern paradiodists, the human species should have died out from eating non-refrigerated food.

kathik Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #28 of 31

MissRobin where can I find the recipe for Toba's French Vanilla butter cream? You have me very intrigued now!!

prterrell, yes don't you love the government. They are doing such a fine job in sooo many areas that of course we must bow to their infinite wisdom! icon_rolleyes.gif

Kathi

MissRobin Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #29 of 31

It is in the book, The Well Dressed Cake, if you don't have it, let me know and I will post it, it is DELICIOUS!!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

It is in the book, The Well Dressed Cake, if you don't have it, let me know and I will post it, it is DELICIOUS!!

MissRobin...do you think I can have that recipe too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%