My New Favorite "cake Scrap" Use

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm by bobwonderbuns

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 17

I just discovered my favorite thing to make with leftover cake scraps or tasting cakes that have been in the freezer a bit too long...

Trifles!

I always have some sort of pudding, whipping cream, or leftover fillings on hand...just chop the cake up and layer it!

Last week I had all kinds of cake and filling leftover from a "summer" flavor tasting...lemon and raspberry and coconut so I just took the cakes and fillings and some fresh strawberries and layered everything in a trifle bowl topped with cool whip, and served it at a teen activity we had. They ate it all up!

Today, using leftover marble flavor cake scraps I had thrown in the freezer...layered with some chocolate pudding, cheesecake pudding, leftover oreo crumbs from Christmas...and a bit of caramel ice cream topping...and cool whip of course. icon_smile.gif Its going to a church dinner tomorrow.

Its so fun to make a yummy dessert just with leftovers lying around!!!! You could use any of your fillings like mousse or pudding or even preserves to layer with the leftover cake. It looks so pretty in the glass trifle dish too.

16 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 17

That sounds delicious!! I know in her cookbook Julia Child has a cake recipe that calls for 3 Cups cake scraps!! Who knew?? icon_biggrin.gif

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 17

That's a great idea. I started throwing out my cake scraps so I wouldn't nibble on them - now I'll freeze them and save for a trifle dessert! Thank you for the idea icon_smile.gif

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 17

I use them for trifles too!!! I'll put jello or pudding, fresh or frozen fruit, and lots of whipped cream. Just yummy!!!

During the wedding season I have way too much for our small household so I give them to my mother-in-law. She lives in a senior's complex and she passes them on to her neighbours and friends. Every weekend, they're either knocking on her door or calling her for cake tops!! She's like a cake dealer rather than a dope dealer!! It's just so funny!!! She's the most popular little old lady in the complex and she loves it!!!

But I'll always keep a little bag or two just in case unexpectedly company drop by because a trifle is quick & easy to make.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 17

I do this with choc cake, tinned fruit salad, juice from fruit heated with dark berry jam, custard, then cream (don't do cool whip here much). And the obligatory sprinkles.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 17

Now see, this is so unfair!!!!! My mouth is just watering now so I have to make a trifle to go with supper this evening. My hips are just going to hate you guys!!!! icon_cry.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 17

Oh that sounds delish! And with cream cheese too? OMGoodness!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

That sounds delicious!! I know in her cookbook Julia Child has a cake recipe that calls for 3 Cups cake scraps!! Who knew?? icon_biggrin.gif

Which one? I have her book and love it.

cookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefool Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #9 of 17

Great idea! I'm swimming in cake scraps with no end in site and I can't do one more cake ball. At this rate my family may actually be thrilled to have some fruit!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #10 of 17

Great idea, Thanks

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #11 of 17

I have to pipe in and say Great idea! I have "extra cakes in the freezer from extra batter and didn't feel like doing cake balls... now they have great and more practical purpose for me, thanks!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #12 of 17

thanks kitagrl.. what you make sounds scrumptious!! thats what i will do with mine from now on.. haven,t made the cake balls yet.. your way sounds great...

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 17

I don't know if this sounds very good or not. I think you need to make a batch and send them over to me....... just to try them out....hehehehe
Love the idea.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #14 of 17

Tiramisu is a good one: white or yellow cake scraps, simmer Kahlua and coffee with some powdered sugar til it thickens to a syrup; douse the cake cake scraps, spread this over it: 8 oz cream cheese blended with 1 cup powdered sugar and one bag melted white chocolate chips.

Also, just yesterday I tried this trick with leftover batter:
Pour batter into ramekins, cover with waxed paper, pop in microwave for 20 to 30 seconds - voila! Quick and easy cupcakes in a bowl!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:02am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Tiramisu is a good one: white or yellow cake scraps, simmer Kahlua and coffee with some powdered sugar til it thickens to a syrup; douse the cake cake scraps, spread this over it: 8 oz cream cheese blended with 1 cup powdered sugar and one bag melted white chocolate chips.

Also, just yesterday I tried this trick with leftover batter:
Pour batter into ramekins, cover with waxed paper, pop in microwave for 20 to 30 seconds - voila! Quick and easy cupcakes in a bowl!

Wow! you are a cake genius! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:52am
post #16 of 17

I really didn't need to read the tiramisu recipe. I'm wanting to get back *into* my jeans didn't cha know icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Which one? I have her book and love it.

I didn't write it down, but I believe it's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 2. (That's the red volume. I have the blue one and it's not in there.) It's called "La Charlotte Africaine" and it's found on page 493. One of the ingredients is "8 ounces pound cake, wedding cake, sponge cake, ladyfingers, or leftover white or yellow cake -- about 2 1/2 cups moderately pressed down." Cool, huh? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%