How Much Support For A 12X18 Sheet Cake?

Decorating By j_arney Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 2:45am by cakeandpartygirl

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 24

I am making a 12x18 sheet cake with the 1/2 football on top. I imagine it will be a decent amount of weight. Will one of the retangular cake boards be enough to support it? Should I use two? Would I need more than that? I usually just make rounds and squares 10" or less. First time with a sheet. Thanks!!

23 replies
sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 24

I'm interested in hearing this myself. In the past when I have done this and used only 1 cake board, the frosting cracked when I tried to move the cake. So I would say you need more, but I don't know how much.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 24

I usually use two with a 12x18. I dont know why they dont make those boards sturdier - they really are too flimsy to hold a big cake like that. even using 2 boards make sure you pick it up carefully under the center of the cake so that your icing wont crack.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 24

1/2" foam core is a better choice. Can be purchased at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, office supply or art store and cut to size.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 24

Oh, you'd definately need more than one cardboard under that. I use three just for a 11X15 single layer.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 24

You can straighten the the cardboard and make it a little more rigid by shoving thin long skewers into the corrugated openings in the end. A few across and then the next layer alternate the positioning.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 24

ditto in the 1/2" foam core board. I have recently discovered that, for some reason, one 1/2" is stronger than two or even three 1/4" boards taped together. Flower Factory has them almost half the price of michaels.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 24

Oh, my. Foam board all the way. 1/2", for sure! Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics. Michaels has 40% coupons.

If you have not got the option of running out to pick up foam core, I'd recommend four cardboard sheets well glued together.

edited for clarity.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 24

I don't EVER lift the sheetcakes once they're on the boards. I slide them into the box (which is MUCH sturdier and more rigid than the cardboard boards) and then slide them out of the box once it's on the table it's going on.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 24

I stack a lot cakes on sheet cakes. It's not so much your cake board but your dowel support in that 12x18 HOLDING football. If you have ample amount of support, you shouldn't have a problem. All of my cakes that are stacked are on the white cake boards and to me, they aren't that thick.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 24

Sorry...I think I misunderstood the question. I think your asking about the cake board UNDER the 12x18. Disregard my answer.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 24

No it really is the support of the sheet cake that's important. That's the foundation for your cake. All the dowels in the world won't help if the bottom foundation bends. It needs to be unyielding - as in sturdy, unbending, and more than a single cardboard. A cake drum or foam core is best.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

You can straighten the the cardboard and make it a little more rigid by shoving thin long skewers into the corrugated openings in the end. A few across and then the next layer alternate the positioning.

I use a triple layer of boards for my cakes, but I am gonna have to try this trick!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 24

ah ha I meant to type strengthen, but you get it thumbs_up.gif

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 24

I now use only 1/2 foam core boards. You still need to put your hand under the middle when moving it though just to guard against any flex. I've also used 2 layer of cake boards glued and a 1/4 in. thick piece of plywood under that for moving purposes but when I delivered the cake I would slide it off the plywood and onto the table and then no more moving it. That way I could take the plywood home with me.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 24

This may seem like a dumb question to piggy back on the OP's but what do you use to glue the boards together? I have the bad cardboard ones, cant run back out to the store. What should I "glue" them together with?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 24

multipurpose glue, elmer's glue would be ok

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 24

I use 3 cardboards. I don't glue them together because I wrap them in the decoative foil, which holds them in place.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 24

I delivered a cake just like this yesterday. 12x18 football field with football on top (from Wilton football pan). I used 15x21 MDF board (1/2" thick) that I bought & had cut at Lowe's. Covered that in black contact paper and it was perfect. No give whatsoever! I had 29 boards cut (of varying sizes) from 1 sheet of MDF for about $26. HTH

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 24

Well, since I posted I glued 3 boards together with the hot glue gun and I also put the dowels in the cardboard as someone had instructed, as of right now its seems very sturdy, though I am usually the one who is putting salt on my foot so we shall see. Thank you for the quick responses.

Katie1625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1625 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #21 of 24

Hi...I am about to put a beach ball cake on top of a 12x18 sheet cake. I'm VERY new to this cake thing. You would suggest foam core UNDER the cake??? I hope I can do this!

TheCakeCrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeCrumb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 24

So you just use the foam board as your cake drum?

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #23 of 24

How do you guys cut the foam board if it's a round cake?

Christy

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%