I Have Always Wondered....

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:11am by cownsj

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 15

would it be an insult to professional bakers to wear one of those jackets, like they wear on the cake Challenge tv show? I would like to look professional when delivering a cake but is this a jacket that has to be earned thru education , acknowledgements, professional recognition?

14 replies
jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 15

I know there have been discussion on this before. I can't find any of them right now though icon_sad.gif

grandmaruth Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 15

oops sorry....i didnt remember it being covered before...

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 15

I wouldn't think that it would bother anyone. Lots of people that work in other foodservice jobs wear them. You could walk into almost any Applebee's in the country and find someone wearing one in the kitchen.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 15

Not a big deal. I was going to try to post some links so you could see other responses but I have searched everything and can't find it.

grandmaruth Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 15

no biggie...i just was wondering....not an important problem compared to others that come up....thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 15

Most definitely not a problem. It's just a uniform. Dishwashers in some establishments wear them. Just don't go around proclaiming yourself the executive chef and you are all good. I worked in a little mom and pop samitch and soup shop (and yes I spelled samitch that way on purpose icon_wink.gif) an I was required to wear one. I was 18... and definitely not a trained chef.

icon_biggrin.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 15

I remember that thread. As I recall, most people said it wasn't the jacket that signified the level of education, it was the chef's hat. The taller the hat, the higher the level of education.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

I remember that thread. As I recall, most people said it wasn't the jacket that signified the level of education, it was the chef's hat. The taller the hat, the higher the level of education.

Or it could be the size of their head (ego) LOL

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 15

i work in a nursing home, and our chefs wear the jackets. the food is terrible. but if anyone sees them, they at least look like they know what they are doing.
it would certainyl add the professional touch, especially when u are setting up a cake.
xx

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 15

Some chefs ARE insulted if you wear a white jacket (not that they'll see you when delivering your cakes though lol).

I personally noticed a HUGE difference in the way I was received at wedding halls/hotels, etc. when delivering a cake with a chef's jacket on. I wear a black one with a nice pair of dark blue jeans, black slip on leather shoes and a black waist apron so I'm not DRESSED UP by any means....and I get doors opened for me, offers of shorter paths to the cake table, rolling carts, extra hands, you name it!

Before the chefs jacket, I had to announce I was the "cake lady" and then do all the door opening and such on my own, and I used to wear nice black dress pants and a blouse and looked MUCH nicer. People always said, "oh I thought you were just a guest for the wedding" and even after hearing I had the cake..they still didn't really care much.

Definitely get a chefs coat. You can get them reasonably priced, keep in mind the lighter weight the jacket is, the more comfortable it will be to wear, and the more you will have to iron it!

Black coats pick up lint (but look nice IMO), you will have to decide what color to go for, I wanted pink but then figured I have in stained in ONE use lol

here's a link to the one I have

http://www.chefwear.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=214&DEPARTMENT_ID=8&

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #12 of 15

Does anyone knows where do they sell the jackets?

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:36am
post #13 of 15

do you know why this is in the spanish forum?

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #14 of 15

I remember the thread also because I was wondering about the same thing. Puffcake is correct. Anyone can wear a jacket but "chefs only" for the hats. They definitely look more professional when delivering a cake IMHO. icon_smile.gif Jackets are sold at GFS if you have a store in your area but you can probably get one at a uniform store or maybe a restaurant wholesale store.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

Does anyone knows where do they sell the jackets?

Go to this site on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Linen-Products They have all weights of jackets,long sleeve, short sleeve, all colors, great prices and you can get a quote on having your name and/or logo embroidered on your jacket and their prices is very reasonable for that too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%