Engagement Cake With Ring On Top

Decorating By SueW Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 1:41am by SueW

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 9

I'll try to explain this as best I can since I am confused myself. I have a "client" that wants me to make her engagement cake and what she explained to me as her design seems down right weird.

She wants a sheet cake and in the top right corner of that a small cake stacked. Around the small stacked cake edge she wants a fondant wedding band with her princess cut diamond coming out of it. The rest of the sheet cake will just say congrats and have snowflakes on it.

This makes no sense to me and I am not sure where to start, oh both cakes sheet and small stacked are covered in fondant. How do I make a wedding band and diamond around the circumference (sp?) of a small round cake????? Am i making any sense? icon_cry.gif

8 replies
cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:10am
post #2 of 9

maybe she wants the "ring" to wrap around the small cake~kinda like a ribbon?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 9

It sounds to me like she wants it to look like the display board at the jewelers"- A peg coming up off the board that holds the ring.

There was talk on CC a little while ago about a large "diamond" available at Michaels, or you could mold one out of fondant and paint with luster dust. The "ring" would be a thick snake of fondant in a circle.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 9

Hi guys, I tried to respond last night but my computer kept freezing on me. Thanks for all your input so quickly it is so nice that people want to help out so fast!
I asked the client if she wanted the ring to sit atop the small tier as if it was inside the jewelry box and she said no icon_cry.gif She wants the band to wrap around the outside of the small round tier and have a princess cut diamond attached to the band. How the heck do I attach a fake diamond if the band is technically sideways??? I said OK and now I'm desperatley trying to come up with an idea. How do I even make a fake diamond icon_cry.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #6 of 9

I am by no means an expert but just thinking....can you make your own diamond mold using mold builder (found at michaels). Once you have the mold, melt and pour isomalt sugar into the mold and once set...you have a sugar diamond!!!! You can make a thick band around the base of the cake and paint it with silver luster dust and attach the "diamond" with either royal or white chocolate. Just a thought icon_smile.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #7 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1281321

This is a cool pix of an engagement cake. Just imagine the band around the of cake and the diamond attached in the center. Hope this helps....

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #8 of 9

Not sure how large you need the diamond to be... or if you are wanting to make you own... but you can find edible diamonds on ebay! How cool is that???? icon_lol.gif I didn't get mine there, but the place I got them only has small ones icon_sad.gif

SueW Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Not sure how large you need the diamond to be... or if you are wanting to make you own... but you can find edible diamonds on ebay! How cool is that???? icon_lol.gif I didn't get mine there, but the place I got them only has small ones icon_sad.gif

WOW I didn't know that! That is so cool, I will take a look right now thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%