Actual Marble Shaped Cake (As In Glass Marble)

Decorating By doggymommy Updated 3 Feb 2013 , 4:15pm by OccasionalCakeDecorator

doggymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doggymommy Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 9

My nephew requested a marble marble cake for his birthday. Now, I fairly new to cake decorated. I'm really good at recreating things I see from pictures. He wants a marble cake in the shape of a glass marble. He gave me his 3 favorites for some inspiration. I have the cake pan that I have used for sports balls so that is not an issue making the cake but I haven't the foggiest idea on how to decoate it. Googling it isn't helping since I keep coming up with hits on actual marble cakes. I'm sure there are other kids out there who have requested marble cakes...any pictures or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

8 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sorry I haven't done one or seen one before, but had an idea. Perhaps you would ice the entire ball in white buttercream, or even cover it in white fondant, the used colored gel over the entire thing, swirling it as you go.

Good luck and please show us your creation when you're done! icon_smile.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 9

Do his marbles have swirled colors in them? My only thought to this is to marble different fondant colors together to get the marbled color look and once it's applied to the cake, go over the cake with a matching luster dust to give it sparkle like a glass ball.

Hopefully someone else can give you some hints/tips. Good luck and have fun with it icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 9

I was just coming back to add more and saw sambugjoebear reply. I was going to say the same thing, except maybe us the clear piping gel over the marbellized fondant, or you could even steam the fondant to make i shiny.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=48119

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 9

i think barbaranne put a get example of how to marble it and how you want it to turn out!!! i would say if you wanna get really fancy theres a shine spray you can buy ive seen ace of cakes use it its areosol spray that makes everything SUPER shiny and i think it would look more like glass if you did this. if not hes a kid and im sure anything you come up woth will look great and he will love it you might see flaws but kids have imagination!!!!

Oklahomasweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oklahomasweetie Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 9

Hi. I'm an unexperienced baker but I just wanted to agree with what was being said already. If you do the sports ball in marbled fondant then luster dust or steam to make it shiny, I think it would look good. I'm not sure what else you could do for decoration though.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1530655

That is what i did here for a bowling ball but I didn't think about doing something to make it shiny.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 9

Does he play marbles? Maybe decorate the board like the lines of a marble game and his marble(cake) be in the winning position with small marble sized marbles of fondant to represent the other players. Just trying to think of something that will help this cake be great and not just look like a big bowling ball with out finger holes.

OccasionalCakeDecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OccasionalCakeDecorator Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 9

Did this work out for you?  I am looking for a marble themed cake as well and having problems!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%