What Do You Think Of This Price?

Decorating By giggysmack Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm by Bread_n_Buttercream

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #61 of 79

Oh no you didn't. Delmonico. OMG. Drooooooooooling. Yeah, I so need to fly out there just to visit. I need see some real scenery! Cactus, blowing dust and snowbirds gets mighty old around this time of year! icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:11pm
post #62 of 79

Okay... how's about I fly to you?? It's all snowblindness and cold out here, but... the snowbirds all flock to you this time-o-year so one plus. icon_lol.gif Or we could do both... icon_wink.gif My daughter can out eat me when it comes to steak... and she will pick the biggest delmonico for her... she's 9. Nope... no chicken nuggets or hot dogs for her... steak please (or ribs or hot wings... she's crazy, but just look at what she comes from right? icon_wink.gif). My son is a salad and chowdah boy... makes up for his sister's champagne tastes.

We always joke about moving somewhere that stays warm all year round, but I mean really. Take away the fast paced NE lifestyle and the crazy weather and I'd have no reason to bitch about anything... *shudder*... I don't think I could do it! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

And... to keep this on point... $80 bad... no herpes in cakes... and we are all real bakers.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled CC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

.... not everyone can charge the big bucks right out of the gate and I know that.

Why not? icon_confused.gif I did.

when I first got started and had no idea how to price them, I asked the lady who ran the cake supply what the price range was. She told me what "the going rate" was and I priced my cakes at that.

My very first cake, I was charging what the other cake ladies in town were charging. And I lived in a small town. And this was the late 70's, during the big recession when no one had jobs. And people paid it.

If you don't value your work, no one else will either. thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #64 of 79

Well I mean the $8 and up range. That you have to work for... unless you live in LA or NYC... then that is starting out... LOL.

I started out charging $4/serving (which is actually higher than most in my area) so I know what you mean Debi.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Well I mean the $8 and up range. That you have to work for... unless you live in LA or NYC... then that is starting out... LOL.

I started out charging $4/serving (which is actually higher than most in my area) so I know what you mean Debi.

There are some on here who think $3 is "big bucks", so I hope we're helping those folks see the value of their work! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #66 of 79

Indeed Debi... icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #67 of 79

If ever I get my chance you bet your bottom dollars I am going to charge top dollar right out of the gate. I'll aim at the upper crust clientele too.

No No No- that just won't do.
Girls you need to fly down to me in Fla la land - Treasure Coast no less icon_cool.gif
I rub my steak with fresh rosemary, Kosher salt and just the lightest sprinkle of sugar before it hits the grill. You'll want to like the grill clean.

FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #68 of 79

Oooooh... sounds good to me. Then when it warms up everyone comes up here for a clam bake! WHOOT! I'll make anything but the cake! icon_wink.gif

Believe me... when I set out and thought about pricing, I made sure that I priced myself right in line with the big dawgs (a little higher than most even). No way I was doing this and taking time from my family and not making bank.

I'm lucky that I can bake in my home ere so I was able to allow things to grow and not compromise on anything. But on the flip side... if you do have to take the big plunge with a commercial kitchen then it only makes sense to jump out of the starting gate charging top dollar. icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #69 of 79

So, we're talking calories, sprinkled with a few more calories, rubbed with a smidge of calories, dipped in butter? I'm game. What's another 50 pounds...lol! I'll bring the cake!

I got lucky with my situation. My home is in the historic district, right smack in the middle of commercial zoning! My house used to be the headquarters for United Way....I still get their mail. I had to add a separate entrance to the actual studio itself, a few other things to come to code...and I was off and running!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #70 of 79

I have just started my 3rd year with my legit little at home bakery
It is built into my basement
Here are some photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giggyscakes/3051027839/in/set-72157609859850002/

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:31am
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

If ever I get my chance you bet your bottom dollars I am going to charge top dollar right out of the gate. I'll aim at the upper crust clientele too.

No No No- that just won't do.
Girls you need to fly down to me in Fla la land - Treasure Coast no less icon_cool.gif
I rub my steak with fresh rosemary, Kosher salt and just the lightest sprinkle of sugar before it hits the grill. You'll want to like the grill clean.

Oh..I am moving down by there when my husband comes home from Iraq.

FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:22pm
post #72 of 79

Oooh Lori... I love your kitchen. My next step will be to either convert the garage into a commercial space or move into a retail space.

For now I have to suffer with my home kitchen. The 30 qt mixer is awesome. The biggest one I have is 5 qt. <insert green with envy here> icon_wink.gif

giggysmack Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #73 of 79

I originally wanted to buildit in the garage but it would have cost alot more so we converted our rec room in the basement to it. The room accross the hall is currently being renovated into a new storage and office area. I've pretty much taken over the whole basement. I will post the photos of the new office when it is completed.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #74 of 79

Wow that sounds like quite the set up! Perfect for an at home bakery. I wished my State would allow that.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #75 of 79

Wow! $80, ask her for the ladies # so she can make your cakes too icon_twisted.gif

giggysmack Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #76 of 79

Lol! Traceyjade
I should hire her!!!!!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Just keep your eye on www.cakewrecks.com because that's where an $80 version is likely to end up.

That's the first thing that came to mind!!

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #78 of 79

I don't think I can see anyone making that for $80.... your right, that would be about what it costs to make it! craziness! icon_surprised.gif

Bread_n_Buttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bread_n_Buttercream Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #79 of 79

And I don't mean inexpensive. You always get what you pay for....and if you want to pay cheap, your cake will look the part - CHEAP!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%