Buttercreams Lost Popularity.

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm by tracycakes

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #31 of 35

I'm not as skilled at BC as I would like to be, but I can't afford to practice all the time. I would love to be wonderful at both! icon_smile.gif My 2nd wedding cake was all BC and I was terrified! I was so afraid it would get messed up (which some of the icing on the side tried to slide off during delivery, but I fixed it).

I think both are great and you should do what makes you happy and you are comfortable with, definitely!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:00pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauthala

I was tought with fondant couldn't use anything else.
I don't know how you make your butter cream but here I have iced my grand kids birthday cakes with icing,method,icing sugar some butter and a little milk to mix then add colour if wanted, but usually has to be eaten on the same day or next as icing goes very soft and yucky,I carn't see you using this type, the cakes in pictures here done in bc are so smooth.
When using fondant you don't have to rush the cake, it can take me a up to 6 weeks to do a cake depending on size and I only use fruit cake with my almond paste under fondant.
Never had anyone ask me for anyother type of covering.

See I do think it's what you grow up with. First off we don't eat fruitcake for the most part, it's a joke in the US. We have fruitcake throwing contests but maybe on a fruitcake it would be better. We prefer soft cake with sweet fluffy icing.

To make the icing last you need to use shortening instead of butter or half and half or make one of the buttercream recipes and keep it cold.

I was in class last week, cake class, with 20 people and not one of them liked fondant. But I still do like the way it looks too and like to play with it.

I'm going to have to try SMBC under the fondant but my issue is I don't have a large fridge to keep it cold. I mean if I do that then I don't have much room left in my fridge.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #33 of 35

I'd ask those 20 people what kind of fondant they have tasted, and if it was thick and the only thing on the cake. If it was Wilton fondant then yeah.. yeck!!! But you are right... it's what you are used to. Americans aren't use to chewing icing and having it have texture like fondant.

I love fruitcake (good fruitcake... not the crap you can buy here at the grocery store), but most Americans grew up on fluffy, overly moist box mix cakes with sicky sweet powdered sugar based icing. I know I did. My mom still makes me one for my birthday every year... and I eat it because she made it with love. But my tastes in cakes have definitely changed as I grew up. More sophisticated... though I still don't like to eat fondant on a cake. It's only because of the texture though. If it's applied thin and accompanied by icing it's definitely tolerable.

I think SMBC (or IMBC) under fondant is a nice pairing since the SMBC isn't overly sweet like powdered sugar based icing so it's not a double whammy of OMG sugar.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #34 of 35

I completely dislike the taste and feel of fondant. Is just too gummy!

Maybe I am wrong on this, but is difficult in some areas of the world to
find materials for Crusting Buttercream. I get a lot of emails asking what it is.
In some countries the name is completely different. In other countries they just don't have it.

So my guess is that the reason they use fondant is cause of this. But this is not a statement, just a guess.
Edna icon_smile.gif

PS: Good fruitcake is awesome...definitively not the same medicinal taste from the supermarket ones that you get here in USA.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #35 of 35

I do more buttercream than fondant but I have had some customers that request fondant. I even got a call last week that she specifically asked me if I could do fondant because that was what they wanted.

I do use a full coat of buttercream under fondant.

I still do more buttercream than fondant but most of those are on the small cakes like sheet cakes. Since my business is still relatively new, I'm still building my customer base and hopefully, will start getting more orders for bigger cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%