Can Fondant Covered Cakes Go In The Fridge?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 4 Jul 2013 , 12:50pm by shaleha

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 11

My question is this: can fondant covered cakes go in the fridge. I always thought that it really didn't matter until I stencilled royal icing onto a cake, then when I took it out of the fridge, the sweating caused the royal icing to become transparent and look horrible. I'm using Satin Ice fondant if that makes a difference. I'm going to be making a cake on Thursday evening (covered in fondant with royal icing decoration on top) - will the cake be okay out of the fridge for two days? The party is on Saturday evening. I'm using buttercream as a filling so it's non-perishable. I'm just curious what other think about this and if anyone has had any disasters or anything because of it. Thanks so much!

10 replies
FreeStyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreeStyle Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 11

So much I don't know about fondant, like that you aren't supposed to keep it cold?

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 11

I always put my cakes in the fridge, they are perfectly fine, if there happens to be any condensation on it just let it air dry, nothing happens.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:39am
post #4 of 11

Anyone else? I'm kind of desperate for a reply as I'm making a cake this week. Thanks so much!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 11

I"ve put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge too and yes, they are sticky when you first take them out, but let them air dry and no problem...I even freeze fondant covered cakes. I wrap them well, then let it come to room temperature overnight at least, then take off the wrapping condensation will come off on wrapping. Then let it air dry for a couple of hours. There is no difference in taste either. icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #6 of 11

Forgot to add that I've frozen satin ice and MMF. But I would NOT do the RI decorations before fridge or freezer. Wait for it to dry, then put them on. That's what I"ve done.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #7 of 11

If your cake, filling and icing are all non-perishable then there's no reason to refrigerate the cake.

The fondant will seal the cake and keep it fresh for that short amount of time.

HTH

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #8 of 11

Does the condensation make water spots? I've got to make a Tiffany Box cake and will probably have to refrigerate it. Would hate for water spots to spoil the box.
Thanks,
Pat

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

If your cake, filling and icing are all non-perishable then there's no reason to refrigerate the cake.

The fondant will seal the cake and keep it fresh for that short amount of time.

HTH

I agree with this. Although I usually don't let my cakes sit around for days, I don't put them in the the fridge. If it's not hot in your working area, and you don't have stuff in your cake that will spoil easy it's fine on room temp.
I know I never put marzipan in fridge either, that gets nasty.

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 11

I just had my cake decorated with fondant and put it in a box covered  overnight  for collection.

The next day in the evening the fondant like so called 'melted' along the sides of the cake .

Is it becos of the heat or smthg?

I dare not put in the fridge due to condensation . What shll I do in future? Shld I leave it in open air after decorating it?

I was kind of upset but my customer is nice gal and said its ok and she will manage it

Thanks .

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 11

I just had my cake decorated with fondant and put it in a box covered  overnight  for collection.

The next day in the evening the fondant like so called 'melted' along the sides of the cake .

Is it becos of the heat or smthg?

I dare not put in the fridge due to condensation . What shll I do in future? Shld I leave it in open air after decorating it?

I was kind of upset but my customer is nice gal and said its ok and she will manage it

Thanks .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%