Ideas For Roll-Out Cookie Flavors?

Baking By frankdiabetes Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm by frankdiabetes

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 8

I'm on the lookout for new ideas for roll out cookie dough flavors. I've found recipes I really like for vanilla, chocolate, and gingerbread cutouts, and have seen but not yet tried recipes for mini chocolate chip, peanut butter and lemon cutouts, though I hope to try them soon.

I saw a thread about using LorAnn's emulsions to flavor cookie dough...has anyone found a flavor that they really like? I'm trying to expand my (somewhat limited) repertoire for cookie flavors! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

I love using butter extract and lemon extract.
I have used the marshmallow and cotton candy LorAnne flavors but did not notice any difference in taste.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #3 of 8

Cinnamon Spice Cookies
1 ½ cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ginger
¼ tsp. baking soda
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Beat until light and fluffy. Stir flour with spices and soda; add to creamed mixture. Mix well. This is a stiff dough. Divide dough in half. Flatten each half into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

This is our favorite! From Karen's Cookies

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 8

just toss in one of these into your regular vanilla sugar cookie dough for a whole new flavour:

lime zest
orange zest
lemon zest
toasted chopped nuts
dried lavender
organic dried rose petals
coffee syrup
maple syrup
orange blossom water
rose water
crystallized ginger
green tea powder
ground black tea leaves (Chai, Earl Grey, Oolong, etc work well)

Here's an old thread with more ideas:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-25513-petals.html

luv2bake6 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Antonia! Great ideas!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 8

I've added peanut butter in place of butter with good results (my recipe is 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening)

also 1/2 box jello makes a nice fruity flavor.

I use 1 reg. box of pudding mix too for white choc. and cheesecake flavored cookies, using some cream cheese in the cookies is nice too.......gives them a soft feel to the tongue and a smooth flavor.

luv2bake6 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8

Oh, cream cheese cookies........YUMMMMMMMMM. Do you need to adjust the recipe at all when you add either the cream cheese or the pudding mix?

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I've done a little experimenting over the past couple weeks: I tried KHalstead's recipe, adding 1/2 block cream cheese in addition to the butter and shortening with the cheesecake pudding mix. I loved the flavor and texture of these cookies but had some problems with spreading. I froze the unbaked, cut cookies pretty solid before baking them and baked them on parchment. Any other suggestions?

In another recipe, I tried adding a small amount (1/4 teaspoon or so) of LorAnn's Princess Cake and Cookie Emulsion, and I have to say, I did not care for the flavor. But I will keep trying new things and hope to eventually find that perfect white sugar cookie recipe...I've already found a chocolate one but I can't stand chocolate so I've still got some work to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%