Choose Your Top 3 Books

Decorating By Raymis Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm by artscallion

Raymis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raymis Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone! I recently purchased Confetti Cakes and I am looking to purchase a couple more similar books. If you had a choose your top 3 cake books what would they be? Thanks in advance!!
icon_smile.gif

13 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 14

1) The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
2) The Pie & Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
3) Cakewalk by Margaret Braun

Raymis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raymis Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you! I am going to look them up on amazon right now. icon_smile.gif

alleypoo9782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleypoo9782 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:34am
post #4 of 14

Whimsical Bake House- Liv and Kaye Hanson
Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes
any book by Debbie Brown

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #5 of 14

I have no input as the only cake book I have is the Cake Bible and I haven't read the whole thing yet (I just got it for Christmas). But, I wanted to say thanks for posting this as I was just thinking about asking it the other day as I would love to add to my library. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #6 of 14

Maybe I should ask, are you looking for more recipe related and learning the science behind baking or draw insperation from designers. The books I chose covered both, Rose Levey Beranbaum for the baking and Margaret Braun for the decorating. I also have a Martha Stewart wedding book. It was okay. I didn't get the wedding cake book, cause I actually have just about every magazine those cakes were previously published in. And thats another thing, Martha is a good magazine, as well as Grace Ormond's Wedding Style. Beautiful for inspiration, from the cakes to the flowers and invites, everything. HTH icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #7 of 14

I love Debbie Brown's books.

vandru10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vandru10 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:13am
post #8 of 14

I need a good book with recipes...one that contains some good flavoring combos. Any suggestions.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:36am
post #9 of 14

Definitely the Planet Cake book. Great, foolproof recipes. And awesome step-by-step instructions/tutorials on some of their fabulous designs.

Debbi Brown is also good
So is Lindy Smith

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:57am
post #10 of 14

I loved the book Confetti Cakes. And my 4 year old loved looking at "mommy's cake book" too. icon_biggrin.gif

Torten-Lotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torten-Lotta Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:22am
post #11 of 14

My favorite books for cake decoration are:
1. 'Planet Cake' by Paris Cutler
2. 'Motivtorten-Basics' by 'Tuggy' Bettina Schliephake-Burchard (up to now it is only available in german but it should appear in english also in spring or summer this year!)
3. 'Pretty Party Cakes' by Peggy Porschen!!!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:42am
post #12 of 14

I wish I had somethimg to add to this discussion. The only real cake book I have is The Cake Bible, which I got for Christmas this last year and haven't managed to try anything from yet.

I'm excited to see what resources I ought to add to my library. Thanks to everyone who shares their favorites with he rest of us.

- Leisel

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandru10

I need a good book with recipes...one that contains some good flavoring combos. Any suggestions.

As far as flavor combos go, you just put whatever flavors you like together or your clinets like or look at other desserts. For example: lemon meringue pie= butter or lemon cake with a lemon curd filling and regular SMBC. See. Just look around and trust your tastebuds. No special book needed. HTH

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 14

Toba Garrett's. "The Well Decorated Cake." Has great recipes as well as some good introduction to a lot of technique. Her cookie books are also big winners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%