Well It Finally Happened

Business By cdavis Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 1:15am by TheCakeShak

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 20

to me....... I am a hobby baker and sometime sell a cake here and there for usually just enough to cover my supplies and some seed money for new caking toys. Well I did a wedding cake for a girl, I got 1/2 up front and the other 1/2 was due on delivery. Nobody was there to pay me when I delivered and since my husband knew someone in the family, I made an exception and left a wedding and groom's cake. It's been over a week, they are avoiding my calls and e-mails and today I find out that some of my plates, etc. were thrown away. They did return my silver cake stand today (before I got home from work) sans the check for the balance.

I've read lots of stories about other CCers getting burned but I guess I had to learn it the hard way. I used to feel sorry for little girls who might not have the cake of their dreams..........as of right now, I really don't care anymore.

19 replies
penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 20

I am really sorry it happened to you. Thank you for sharing so that if just person (it could be me) thinks to do the same thing, they will rethink it and get all the money before turning on the oven. I hope you will get the rest soon!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 20

=( Keep on them. It's not right. It happened to me before when I go started...but I didn't have the confidence to say anything and fight.

Now....I'll cut a beyotch if they try to rip me off. (being sarcastic obviously!!)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 20

Oh no......

Do you have a signed contract or invoice? If so, you should contact the bride/groom and let them know that your attorney will be handling their case if they don't pay within xx amount of days.

Good luck!

Hopefully they're just on their honeymoon and they'll pay you when they return.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 20

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully, she or her family will do the right thing and pay you without things getting ugly. If she doesn't pay up then I'm with DKelly....sue the heiffer!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

....sue the heiffer!

lmao icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

cdavis Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #7 of 20

Thanks ladies for all the responses. "I'll cut a beyotch" made me laugh and I really needed a laugh today. I have learned a lesson and will sue in small claims if she doesn't pay. Just wanted to hang my red face out there for the other ladies to see that none of us are immune to those things we are often warned of.

Does kinda make me wonder If I'll have my identity stolen next.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:30am
post #8 of 20

As long as your next cake doesn't have 'Happy Marriage" written on it you're doing pretty good! icon_wink.gif

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

=( Keep on them. It's not right. It happened to me before when I go started...but I didn't have the confidence to say anything and fight.

Now....I'll cut a beyotch if they try to rip me off. (being sarcastic obviously!!)

CakeForte, I just spewed water all over my laptop laughing! You made my night.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #10 of 20

In all seriousness. You did your part, so now....just go through motions (with the hopes that she pays) and document everything and every single time you contact for payment.

1) Delivered to wedding at XYZ - 8 PM - July 15, 2009
2) 10:00 AM - reminder phone call - left voice mail - no response
3) Sent invoice through mail requesting payment. Added on a late fee of $75.

etc, etc. The purpose for all of that is JUST IN CASE you do go to court, (which I hope you don't have to) you have a solid foundation for a case.

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:46am
post #11 of 20

Just saw your cakes, very nice work! I can't imagine why they would not be satisfied, I'm sure their cake was lovely!

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #12 of 20

great cakes...... i had a friend of mine do this to me and it was only for 30.00 for a birthday cake for her daughter . I had even gave her a discount....... It was just this past weekend so I know how you feel.... keep your head up

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #13 of 20

Don't let your embarrassment and disappointment drown your justified anger!

Hound her, her family (if they had anything to do with paying for the wedding mercilessly until you get paid! Do it professionally, though.

First, send an invoice via certified mail.

If you don't hear from her as soon as she gets that, call once a day, every day, leaving the same basic message:

I delivered the cakes without full payment because I trusted you to do the right thing and complete the payment in a timely manner. Please call me to set up a time when you can come by with the cash. If I don't here from you, I'll be forced to file in small claims court on Feb. 1.

AND then file on Feb. 1

Rae

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:11am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musings9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

CakeForte, I just spewed water all over my laptop laughing! You made my night.

Mine too!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

For the OP... you have some solid advice so far. I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson. It plain sucks. And your DH knows them? Just horrid behaviour. I hope that you get compensated and this fuels you to never ever let it happen again. Full payment before you so much as turn on the oven to heat up.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:59am
post #15 of 20

I am sorry this happened to you. I had this happen to me a couple of months ago with a cake order over the phone and it took until 2 weeks ago for them to finally pay me. When the payment came it was in the form of a beat up money order from the bank, so it makes me wonder if they did have to scrape the money together.

I just booked a wedding cake and I didn't have any problem telling them after they had made all the decisions on their cake that in order for their wedding to be written on my calendar I needed 50% today and 50% 2 weeks before the actual event. They opted to pay in full that day just to simplify things, which is fantastic by me.

Now over the holidays I was so busy with a variety of bakery orders that I went ahead and agreed to invoice a few people (businesses) that asked, but I wish I hadn't done that because the payments are trickling in, but verrryyy slowwwllly.

FrostedFantasies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFantasies Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 20

To the OP- so sorry this happened to you. Sucks.
Like redhedfairy, I had this happen recently--TWICE--(guess I'm not too bright!) by "friends."

One of the friends whispered to me when i brought her cake in "I don't have any money on me, but you know I'm good for it."
I called her after her company left to let her know I was coming by to pick up payment in full. icon_smile.gif

Long story short, now I require everyone--including so-called friends!--to pay a 50% deposit up front and the remaining 50% five days (or earlier) before delivery date. No payment in full? No cake. Bottom line.

Like my husband said, you can't go to a restaurant and tell the waitress, "Gee, dinner was great, but we forgot our money. We're good for it, though!"

I think sometimes we forget that we are professionals, not just hobbyists, no matter how big or small our operation.

Keep your chin up--and let us know how you resolve it with the "beeyotch." (hee hee--made me laugh too!) icon_biggrin.gif

cdavis Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #17 of 20

Just to let you all know..... I actually found her page on facebook and sent her several messages. She announced a trip to visit her daughter and I sent her a message that said surely if you can afford to travel, you can pay your bills. Long story short after several untruths on her part, I got the rest of my money. The next cake I delivered, I stood with in the reception hall until I was handed payment in full. I've learned and will sin no more!!!! Thanks.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

Just to let you all know..... I actually found her page on facebook and sent her several messages. She announced a trip to visit her daughter and I sent her a message that said surely if you can afford to travel, you can pay your bills. Long story short after several untruths on her part, I got the rest of my money. The next cake I delivered, I stood with in the reception hall until I was handed payment in full. I've learned and will sin no more!!!! Thanks.

Payment in full at least three weeks before works best!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:55am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

Payment in full at least three weeks before works best!

My contract states the cake most be paid in full ONE MONTH before the wedding, I would never sit on a hall waiting for the bride to pay...who has time for that?
You should also get a retainer fee for your plates and cakes stands, if they don't return them in the same condition you gave it to them, you keep the money.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:15am
post #20 of 20

I too have in my contracts,, esp for a wedding cake FULL payment must be made 1 month before actual wedding date.

I "really" don't do the gee, I'm good for it routine....because when you hear them there words, you know then you will need a really good swig of something when you get home!

I did have a long time ago, a similarity, but not what you just went thru..
I was told by the brides friend, grooms friend and friend of the mob, you will get paid, the bride is good for it...
I stood there and told them each as they approached me asking why was I not setting up the wedding cake, I simply said, because I need FULL payment before any set up begins. No money, No cake...sure,, it made some faces red,, but oh well, a lot of sweat, throwing the icing spatula, sitting at the oven, etc went into the cake and well so on......
Make sure if you are in the situation again, document, document, document, send a certified letter with a signature required too. Don't leave any room for them to wiggle out of by saying, " I never got the message".. Ha! Horse Poo!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%