I Dont Know What Went Wrong, But It Melted! (Vent!)

Decorating By Caths_Cakes Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm by jojo76

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 3

Yikes! I made a cake for my friends 21st birthday, on thursday, she picked it up this morning. it was a chocolate sponge with chocolate ganash .. male member lol!

Anywho, i made my ganash the exact same way ive made it every time for the past year, with out any problem, i iced the cake with ease, covered it with sugar paste and decorated it. No issues. I boxed it up, left it in my kitchen over night (covered, but not air tight) on the bench. this morning my friend picked her cake up. i showed her it before they left, it was fine. the party is not till tomorrow so i explained about storage, i said that leaving it on the bench would be fine in the box.

She sends me a message about ten minutes ago telling me its melting! im like WHATTTT!?!?!?, this was my gift to her. I ask her whats up and aparantly the 'chocolate' is melting and seeping from underneath the sugar paste, i cant work this out, weve had snow for a fortnight here, it has been cold but even my kitchen is warm through the dryer and heating being on, the only thing i can think of is that there kitchen must be Really hot for this to happen.

im gutted , i spent a day working on this making it perfect for her and now this! shes told me not to worry and that shes sure it will all be fine etc, but alot of people are going to see this cake and eat and not to sound dramatic but if its not up to my usual standard, im worried they may think im . . rubbish at what i do lol, also the ganash was made with fresh double cream, im worried it might make some one sick?? she says shes put it in the fridge and its firmed up now . This is my first real issue with a cake thats actually gone to a person to be served up to some one so im freaking out!!!!!

Sorry for the lengthy post, but thanks for listening to my rant! x

2 replies
BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 3

awww...sorry that happened!! I bet she put it next to her on the passenger side and probably opened the heat. Did you tell her not to?? gosh i'm always worried about the cake until its all eaten because it does matter how it is presented tot he people...it's all about the reputation!!

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 3

oh noooooo! No helpful advice im afraid, just massive sympathies. I wonder if she left it in the car for a bit and then brought it into a really warm house, could condensation be responsible?? How stressful for you. Ive never worked with ganache so dont know what happens when it gets warm, does it melt? I was always nervous about using it for an unrefridgerated cake because of the cream, its so annoying that all the books have ganache recipes but none of them actually say if you need to keep the cake in teh fridge afterwards. Try not to worry, maybe its much less than it sounds!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%