Job Hunt Is Depressing Me

Lounge By Ruth0209 Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 1:21am by PDXSweetTreats

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 23

I just came back from a job interview that I THINK went well, but was of course not perfect. I'm feeling deflated because this is an easy job and should have been an easy interview, but I'm not sure I "wow'd" them. I'm so sick of applying and interviewing for jobs. I've been out of work for 10 months now and I just need to get back to work.

I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I know I have no reason to complain. I had a severance package and I still have unemployment so we still have our house, my DH has disability which is small but steady, and I have the cake business to supplement. But I've decided I'm going to have a "feeling sorry for Ruth" day. It didn't help that when I got home I had an e-mail from a prospective customer who I thought would go with me for her cake who decided to use someone else. Bugger.

I don't need advice. I know how this is done. I just wanted to vent because I feel like sitting on the couch and bawling. Maybe I'll just get drunk...

22 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 23

*HUGS*

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 23

Wish you the best in your hunt. Keep in mind that you can be perfect in the interview, but get passed over for something that is totally out of your control.

Mike

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 23

Well I'll drink with you then. My husband got passed over for a job after a 5 month hiring process at the very end of everything. But I'm not gonna let it us get us donw. Why? Cause I'm going wine tasting tonight! thumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Wish you the best in your hunt. Keep in mind that you can be perfect in the interview, but get passed over for something that is totally out of your control.

Mike

Thanks! Isn't it the truth? Plus, the outcome depends a lot on the skill of the interviewers. I felt like saying, "You people aren't asking the right questions!!!" I just took whatever opportunity I could to slip in a little something good about my skills that they didn't ask but needed to know.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 23

Sending hugs your way Ruth...going through the same process right now..same as you, severance and unemployment...job hunting ain't so bad but I hate the dang interviews...got such a stupid question the other day

What is your worst asset? icon_eek.gif

(me thinking) now why in the world would I want to tell you the worst thing about myself when I am trying to put my best foot forward...'tupid 'tupid question.

then there is being interviewed for a job by an......18 year old!...arghh!!

and....and....and....

and I have the feelin' sorry for m'self days too!!

Ruth0209 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 23

Oh, Sherry, I HATE the idiotic questions, too. I had an interviewer ask me - her very first question - what do you like to do for fun? WHAT? I felt like saying "You tell me what in the heck that has to do with my ability to do this job and I'll respond. Otherwise, it's none of your business." I also hate, "Where do you see yourself in five years." I feel like saying, "Why should I plan? I obviously thought I'd retire from my last job. I'll just go with the flow and see where I turn up!" or "I'd love to leave all this behind and decorate cakes for a living."

I also hate, hate, HATE the "tell me about a time when...what did you do...what did you learn" questions. I can't deny that they're useful, but my memory is crap and I have a hard time remembering "a time when". I keep practicing those so they'll trip off my lips, but ugh.

I'm actually a good interviewer and I do have good answers for all these dumb questions because after working in HR for 30 years I know the answers they want, but I still hate them.

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #8 of 23

I actually quit my day job recently! In an economy like this...I quit! I was working with 4 women that were constantly fighting! Couldn't take it anymore so after talking to HR and co workers and supervisor...I quit. Thought I could get unemployment, but could not. So I am really trying to make myself a cake decorator now. I see posts of people that are so busy they can't sleep, then I see you here.

Why don't you go for it. Maybe I am being niave (sp) but I am going to try darn it! I hate working for people. I want to be the boss now! (I sound tough huh! lol) I really am my worst enemy when it comes to selling myself, so I am on a long up hill road.

I have no trouble getting cake orders (albeit for fun in the past) but now that I have to make a living at it, I am forced to come out of my shell. yikes! My first step it to talk to a commericial kitchen owner to see if she will take me on.

Wish me luck!

Ruth0209 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #9 of 23

Hi, Connie. I hope you do get to go for it. There's lots of information on here about all the steps you need to take to get your business set up. It's a little tedious, but it's not hard.

I've worked in corporate America for over 30 years and believe me, I'd like nothing better than to work for myself. The problem is with providing health insurance for my family. My husband is on disability and won't be eligible for Medicare for two years, so I HAVE to find a job where I'll have group insurance.

With his health issues, he is uninsurable at any price. (mod edited for content) As it is, my COBRA is $885/mo. I'll get some of that back from the HCTC program, but it's still a chunk, and my COBRA will only last through 2010.

So, as much as I'd love to take the severance and set up my own kitchen and go for it, it just can't happen for me right now. I'll continue to do my cake business part-time and maybe some day we'll be in a position where I can go full-time. I'm optimistic!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:12am
post #10 of 23

Good luck and God bless ladies!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 23

I REALLY feel your pain! We spent two years outside the US because my husband is military. We came back last year, and I've been looking for work since. Now, I have 20 years of work experience and two degrees and suddenly I can't find a job!! It gets really depressing some days. I just keep telling myself that the right thing hasn't come along yet. Doesn't always make me feel better, but I keep trying.

Good luck to all of us, no matter what direction we go.

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 23

I'm not working at the moment either. I left work 3.5yrs ago so we could expand our family, and to be honest I really didn't think I'd have any trouble getting work when I was ready... WRONG! I've been job hunting since about Oct or so last year, and I've only had 1 interview. I got the job, but then decided I had moral issues with it, so I turned it down. I hate to say it, but I kind of wish I hadn't been so hasty, even though I still feel the same way about it morally icon_redface.gif

I've been doing everything the "right" way, I even call after I've received a rejection letter and ask what I could have improved upon and if there was a specific reason I was passed over for shortlist in favour of other applicants. It's hard though, I had one woman in HR try to explain a job to me as though I didn't understand it (I had 5yrs experience in a position higher than the one I applied for!), then gave me feedback which consisted of telling me I should specify things in my application which I'd already specified... In bullet point form... With a heading in bold... She was shocked when I said I'd been a regional manager - it was the first thing listed on my resume! It was so disheartening icon_sad.gif

Anyway, best of luck with your job hunt. I've taken the attitude that every time I get turned down for a job it's juust because there's something more suitable for me coming up soon. Hopefully that's the case for both of us icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 23

thumbs_up.gif I say the same thing Verisimilitude! There is something better out there!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:21am
post #14 of 23

I've been there too in the past - job interviews are the worst. But just try to think only positive happy thoughts - the things that make you most joyful and stress-free and don't show any fear or self doubt - interviewers can smell that like dogs smell fear - believe in yourself and your awesomenessicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

And don't forget as well that interviewers might be doing you a favor - many times they will pass on someone because they know it's a horrible job with bad turnover and don't want to inflict a bad job onto you.

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 23

UPDATE! I got called today for a second interview on Wednesday morning. I've talked to two of the people who they called for references and they said it sounds good. I guess I must not have putzed that interview after all!!

Now I'm hopeful again. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 23

Will be praying for you. thumbs_up.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:19am
post #17 of 23

My turn to say......I've had my nursing license for over 18 years it's up to date along w my bls/cpr certification and I have applied for a couple of handfuls of jobs and interviewed twice w some companies and never a call back. icon_sad.gif I have been searching for over 6 months. I've worked a temporary job that ended but it was only part time. I have about giving up being a nurse, I worked many years at a hospital and really need an office job but no doctors want to hire nurses who don't have experience in office field. icon_sad.gif My husband told me when your in an interview you need to dig deep into the job you are applying for and sell yourself. Well heck, if I was a salesman (saleswoman) I'd be applying for a car dealer position. I'm really bumbed also, so I am transferring that to cake decorating or at least trying. SO IF ANYONE OUT THERE NEEDS A CAKE DECORATOR GIVE ME A HOLLER! LOL

Chippi!!!

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #18 of 23

I'm right there with you. My husband has been out of work since July and has had very few prospects. He was in sales, but keeps getting laid off. He would love to change careers, but being 30 and in this economy, he's just not getting called back. A recent college grad would be a better fit. He's finally sucking it up and interviewing for sales jobs again, so we have our fingers crossed.

I work in Staffing and I spend my days on CC because we're not hiring and I have nothing to do thumbsdown.gif Hopefully everything will turn around soon and I'll be busy, he'll be working, and I can buy all the cake stuff I want icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 23

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT news! I got the job I interviewed for last week! I'm so excited and relieved. They seem like a good group, and it's full time with benefits, so I'm happy. It's almost exactly half the pay I made in my last job, but it's enough so I'm satisfied. We may not have many frills, but we can keep the house and make the car payment.

Now my cake business will be officially part-time (kinda' has been all along) and it'll be a nice supplement to my earnings. It may be as much as I need to do, and now I have a whole new group to introduce to my decorating skills!

Thank you everyone for all your kind words of support and encouragement. For those of you who are still looking or have family members looking, my heart goes out to you. I'll remember you in my positive thoughts. Don't lose hope. I'm living proof that something will turn up.

I'm so happy, I feel like I can take a full breath of air for the first time in a long time. I was getting pretty worried about paying for COBRA and what would happen if the unemployment benefits ran out. What a happy day for me!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #20 of 23

Congrats!! Doing a happy dance for you!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #21 of 23

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Ruth!!!!!! Congratulations girl....I am so happy for you.

Image Image Image

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #22 of 23

Congratulations Ruth!!! icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #23 of 23

Good luck, Ruth -- that sounds very hopeful! Many of us know exactly what you're going through . . .

Best wishes and hope you bowl 'em over on Wednesday!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%