How Do Hobby Bakers Afford To Keep Up Thier Hobby

Decorating By JuJu23 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 1:27am by just_for_fun

LePetitGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LePetitGourmet Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #61 of 82

I'm the same as most people here. I do most of them in lieu of gifts. If the friend wants something bigger than I normally do they pay for the extra ingredients.

There are times that I don't have a reason to give the cake away. That explains the extra pounds I'm currently carrying. lol

I also try to save as much money on ingredients as I can. I refuse to buy a cake mix that costs more than $1, so I watch the sales. And sometimes I used canned icing. Like today, for example. I've been wanting to try making a topsy-turvy layer. It didn't need to be perfectly smooth, so I just used some canned stuff. Based on the fact that my family is currently devouring it, I guess it must be okay. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:37pm
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Repeat after me "I'm a cake toy junkie, I'm a cake toy junkie"!

Hi my name is Rosie and (ehem--clearing throath)..."I'm a cake toy junkie, I"m a cake toy junkie"

Ahhh, thank you tiggy I feel better know icon_biggrin.gif when's the next meeting?

My name is Edna..IM A CAKE JUNKIE icon_redface.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif
When are we going shopping! icon_razz.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

Quote:

Hi my name is Rosie and (ehem--clearing throath)..."I'm a cake toy junkie, I"m a cake toy junkie"

Ahhh, thank you tiggy I feel better know icon_biggrin.gif when's the next meeting?

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, around my parts there are no great supply stores! If I want the newest and coolest, I have to shop online. I'd be a very poor 9but very happy) cake junkie if I had a cool supply source within driving distance.

I saw a post a few weeks ago from a girl who had just discovered she lived down the street from GSA! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, around my parts there are no great supply stores! If I want the newest and coolest, I have to shop online. I'd be a very poor 9but very happy) cake junkie if I had a cool supply source within driving distance.

I saw a post a few weeks ago from a girl who had just discovered she lived down the street from ! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have a supply store here, but the cool stuff is still find in the internet.

Living close to global store would be a dream come true!
Edna icon_smile.gif

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #65 of 82

I like the barter idea. How do you put a value on your cake when you barter? I don't decorate as much because I don't have the people to eat my cake. I have promised myself to get back on the horse this year. Honestly, I have taken money for cake before(really only what it actully cost to make the cake). I know that everyone who has their own bakery would like us to go in debt because they had to. Funny thing is almost every well known cake artist were Iillegal when the first started out. I don't understand how some people in my town have been doing cakes for years(even weddings) and have no plans to get legal. I think if you plan on making money from cake decorting you should get yourself a commerical kitchen. However, I would not envy them

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #66 of 82

..moving to Cake Decorating forum. icon_smile.gif

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #67 of 82

My name is Ginny and I'm a cake toy junkie.

I've been looking at the photos from many of the posters on this topic, and wow! Your cakes all look so professional!!!!!!!!!! I'm so impressed - and humbled!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #68 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Yikes Edna, I thought you'd never askkkk!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I have a list of things (ehem, clearing throath) I NEED!!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rosie

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #69 of 82

I am a hobby baker and bake mostly for family and people at work. All the cakes are gifts.
As I don't get to do enough cakes for practice, I've now started to do dummy cakes for friends and family back home. I do cakes for their birthdays and anniversaries and e-mail them a picture. They are happy and I get to practice. They don't have to know that its a dummy cake.

tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:50pm
post #70 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Yikes Edna, I thought you'd never askkkk!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I have a list of things (ehem, clearing throath) I NEED!!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rosie

Ok, I couldn't stop myself... icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif I went shopping! tapedshut.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:50pm
post #71 of 82

I just learned to barter....two months in a row now my daughter is going to gymnastics for free because her instructor loves my cake! Other than that, it's in lieu of a gift for a party. Trying to figure out how to get tot he manager of Kroger so he will give me free groceries every month LOL (I wish!)
Ever since my family found out I like to play with cake, they buy me cake toys for bday and this past Christmas.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #72 of 82

HI, my name is Linda and I am a (insert name of many many many hobbies) toy junkie! I really cannot ever try any new hobbies because I am flat out of room in my house to store the REQUIRED paraphernalia for anything else. I already even opened a retail business at one point to support one addiction! (Economy took care of that for me.)

Machine embroidery, English smocking, French lace heirloom sewing, cookies, cakes, knitting, quilting.......

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #73 of 82

I'm addicted to cake toys.

You can never have too many cake toys!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:36am
post #74 of 82

ahhhhhhhhhhh.....so we're calling "them" cake toys now are we! icon_lol.gif

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

ahhhhhhhhhhh.....so we're calling "them" cake toys now are we! icon_lol.gif

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif ROFLMAO . . . too funny! I like you Kelly!

Cathy

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:44am
post #76 of 82

I have enjoyed reading everyones comments and looking at all your great cakes. I took up this hobby after I retired and love it. I spend many of my waking hours thinking about and planning cakes. I like to try new things and learn new things all the time. I haunt the thrift stores, garage sales, and sales looking for things I can use for cakes. I spend way too much on cake toys. Some I may never use. I have just started ordering online. Wow! what fun.

My cakes are for family, friends, and my church. If I do for friends of friends or my family's friends I do charge a small amount to help pay for some of my toys. If I was charging for my time I'd be making 50cents to a $1 an hour. I love it when they let me design what I want.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:54am
post #77 of 82

As a hobby baker I rely on the jolly fat man to bring me caking presents around the holidays.

Most would think this is Santa but due to my DH's jovial personality and my penchant for the foodie arts, he refers to himself as the jolly fat man during the Christmas season! icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #78 of 82

*shrug* It's pretty much like any other hobby. I actually spend LESS on baking annually than I do on scrapbooking, sewing, jewlery making, and other craft supplies and I do occasionally have a friend want to purchase a special occasion cake or cookies from me. And even so, DH far out spends me on his electronic and computer gadgets and games and tools for his home workshop. At least most of the stuff I do ends up as gifts, instead of cluttering up the house! icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by grams

I spend many of my waking hours thinking about and planning cakes. I like to try new things and learn new things all the time. I haunt the thrift stores, garage sales, and sales looking for things I can use for cakes. I spend way too much on cake toys. Some I may never use. I have just started ordering online

Yikessss....I thought I was the only one!! I do spend hours thinking and plannings cakes...I too haunt garages sales, thrift stores looking for cake toys...have many toys I've never used icon_redface.gif Making cakes is basically part of my life and nope, I've never sold a cake nor I'm planning to...the day I decide to turn this into a business it will STOP being fun icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Ok, gotta run to Michaels, their new 40% coupon today!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #80 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

I spend many of my waking hours thinking about and planning cakes. I like to try new things and learn new things all the time. I haunt the thrift stores, garage sales, and sales looking for things I can use for cakes. I spend way too much on cake toys. Some I may never use. I have just started ordering online

Yikessss....I thought I was the only one!! I do spend hours thinking and plannings cakes...I too haunt garages sales, thrift stores looking for cake toys...have many toys I've never used icon_redface.gif Making cakes is basically part of my life and nope, I've never sold a cake nor I'm planning to...the day I decide to turn this into a business it will STOP being fun icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Ok, gotta run to Michaels, their new 40% coupon today!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I agree I do it for fun. My brother is getting married in June and my mom is trying to guilt me into making his cake. I don't want to do it! I'm not ready to take on something so important.

Rosie2 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:

Quote:

I agree I do it for fun. My brother is getting married in June and my mom is trying to guilt me into making his cake. I don't want to do it! I'm not ready to take on something so important.

Yikes wedding cake??!! I've never done a wedding cake either, but guess what? my daughter's ingagedddd!!! although, she won't marry for a while so I gotta practice, practice, practice until my heart is content!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

BTW, I just came back from Michaels and they also have an extra 20% off on total purchase wohooo!! I found a lot of 'goodies' icon_biggrin.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #82 of 82

I only bake cakes for my kids' and husband's bdays, and our anniversary. I would have to buy something, so we're actually saving money, and it's much better and more creative than what I would buy. I also bake cookies for every party in school that my kids have to bring food to, and even some that they don't. There are 3 charity organizations that I bake cookies for their fundraisers in lieu of a donation. I am baking 300 butterflies on a stick and 300 logo (stenciled) cookies for 2 of them this month. YIKES!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%