Ideas For Pricing

Decorating By Sweet-and-Chic Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 1:06am by prterrell

Sweet-and-Chic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-and-Chic Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 6

Anyone has an idea of how much it would be logical to charge for a 4 tear cake 14 inc to 6 inch ?? topped with a tea pot. tea pot to have flowers overflowing out of it and coming down the cake? THey want 4 different flavors as well. Coconut, re velvet, vanilla and choc. fudge.

Thankx..any advise would be appreciated!!

5 replies
oohlala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlala Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #2 of 6

I made this cake a few months ago for a friend and charged her $100.00. I have another order (from someone I don't know) and I'm not sure what to charge. I'm new at this and I don't want to undercharge (or overcharge). Any ideas???
LL

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 6

I'm not for sure where you both are located, but I can say is that you have to do your research on how much is charged on average in your area first. Or if you don't want to do that, start with a base number per serving, then add up from there depending on cake flavors and filling and the amount of detail work.

For me, I charge base price of 2.15 per serving on celebration cakes and then that amount goes up from there depending on how detailed or intricate the design is. That is also for buttercream. for fondant, I add .50-$1 more per serving; mousse or pastry cream filling adds another charge (.15 per serving), etc.

Just realize your labor that goes into this. I know personally that pricing is always difficult, but it does get a little easier over time. HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

OP -

Well, price would depend on which flavors are which tier and what the teapot and flowers are made out of. Also, 14-6 cannot be evenly broken down into 4 tiers, so the sizes might look wonky. The sizes of the different tiers should really be determined by how many they are serving. Also, you do not say what fillings or icings, so I'm going w/ what is traditional w/ each kind of cake for the fillign and assuming BC frosting for all.

Assuming the tiers are in the order of the flavors you listed:

14" round coconut cake w/ coconut cream filling: $185
12" round red velvet cake w/ cream cheese filling: $113
9" round vanilla cake w/ vanilla BC filling: $64
6" round chocolate devil's food cake w/ fudge filling: $50
Gumpaste teapot and flowers: $100
total: $512

BTW, this cake would serve 175.

Sweet-and-Chic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-and-Chic Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much. The cake will be covered with fondant..I think I will charge $500 and make a smaller cake!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #6 of 6

I charge 50% more for fondant-covered cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%