Shortening O_O

Decorating By sugar_room Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 12:32am by sugar_room

sugar_room Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_room Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #1 of 5

hi everybody! icon_biggrin.gif
It's my first post in this lovely forum and I have got a question I hope you can help me with icon_rolleyes.gif

I already have some experience with baking cakes and decoration ( thanks mom! icon_rolleyes.gif ) - although I'm just 20 icon_redface.gif - but I'm new in this "American styled cakes" thing...sooo, I'm trying to make Fondant (to cover the cake) and the recipe says I need vegetable shortening but given that I'm from Spain I can't seem to find it anywhere in this country!!!! icon_cry.gif what I have found is animal shortening (? I mean made of pork fat) would that work? is there any difference beside one being from vegetable and the other one from animals?

I have also found a brand called Crisco - which I think is from the USA- that is sold online though it's a bit -lot- expensive icon_eek.gif 7 + shipping compared to 1,65 of average animal shortening/ butter/ margarine.

Thank you very much in advance for your help! and I apologize if I made any mistake in English icon_redface.gif

4 replies
OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 5

I don't know what to suggest to you as a substitution, but don't use animal shortening. It would be gross. The animal shortening is going to taste a bit like animals, as is my understanding.

And yes, Crisco will work, but hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion than just buying that online.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

Crisco is a popular brand in the USA. Do you have Cookeen? Wikipedia says it's a brand in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortening

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 5

Your English is great! icon_lol.gif Never (never never never) use animal based shortening!!!! Eeew! Yes, Crisco is a common brand of vegatable shortening here. In many recipies, though, you could substitute butter for the shortening.

Here's a recipe for fondant that doesn't require shortening...only butter: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3663/michele-fosters-delicious-fondant The recipe suggests using shortening to grease your work area, but if you use butter, it would work, too.

I think if you search the recipe section here, you'll find others that don't require shortening.

Good luck!

sugar_room Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_room Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much for your replies! thumbs_up.gif

Ok! no lard ( which is the correct name for "animal shortening" haha ) I don't want my fondant to taste like a pork. icon_confused.gif

I'm already checking the no-crisco recipes! useful! icon_wink.gif

And about the british shortening, hopefully that will be easier to find here in Spain! icon_rolleyes.gif

thank you once again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%