What Is The Best Fondant To Use Thats Store Bought?

Decorating By etwjdw2006 Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 3:58pm by what_a_cake

etwjdw2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etwjdw2006 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 17

I am new to baking but i have done a couple cakes and have triedd using waltons and it didnt taste very well and wanted something that tasted great. Also the last cake i made the fondant melted of least that what it looked liked. is it because i used store bought choclote icing and to much moisture. This time i was planning on using butter creame though. Sorry for keep going on. TIA

16 replies
cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 17

I think the Massa Americana from Albert Uster Imports tastes awesome.

Have you tried putting flavorings in the Wilton fondant?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 17

My favorite is Satin Ice. I recently used it for baby cookies. The look is close to perfect and most like the taste. Used on a cake - homemade fondant is still the best. I find that buttercream always wins out.

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 17

I really like the Satin Ice brand because it has a great, marshmallow taste and is very easy to use. For taste, I so far like Choco-Pan the best because it has an awesome flavor as it is made with white chocolate. However, it is not as easy to use as Satin Ice and you have to soften it up with shortening more frequently.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 17

Ditto on satin ice

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 17

I think that Massa Grischuna is, by far, the best fondant- homemade or store bought. However, it is rather pricey.

I buy Satin Ice and love it- I can buy 20 lbs for $60ish (including shipping).

Fondarrific (sp?) is also popular and tasty, but more expensive than Satin Ice. I do buy their fruity flavored fondants for my kids birthday cakes icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 17

I like Satin Ice but only buy the red or black. All others, I make MFF, cheap and easy and tastes great with white chocolate added.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 17

I use Pettinince.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:53am
post #9 of 17

I just used black Satin Ice for a cake and I love it. It was really easy to work with. I also just made a batch of Micelle Foster's fondant to color and use for accent pieces on the same cake. I haven't started working with it, but it was super easy to make and not as messy and goey as Marshmallow Fondant.
I think what brand you use is somewhat a personal preference thing

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #10 of 17

I like Satin Ice. The dark chocolate tastes like a tootsie roll. I like the texture too. To me it seems to melt in my mouth. I do prefer to make my cake and frosting myself, and I have made MMF. It turned out great, however most people that eat my cakes don't prefer fondant at all. So I feel I would rather put my time and effort into the cake and frosting. If they're going to leave some of the fondant on the plate whether I make it or buy it, I would prefer to just buy it. I don't make cakes full time or anything. I can't devote an entire work week to making cakes. Until I can, then maybe I will start making my own fondant. I just prefer the convenience of ordering it.

So long story short, I use Satin Ice. I would like to try ChocoPan sometime though.

Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:00am
post #11 of 17

[quote="chefjulie"]I think that Massa Grischuna is, by far, the best fondant- ...

I have never heard of this- will have to try it. I think anything that people like to eat and looks pretty is worth the cost.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #12 of 17

I also use SatinIce. Buddy (CakeBoss) and Duff (Ace of Cakes) also use SatinIce.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:53am
post #13 of 17

Oh I wish we could buy SatinIce here!
We can only get Regalice and Bakels that both taste like someting I will not spell out icon_sad.gif
Luckily ther is also Ballinas white choco fondant that is great to work with but tastes somewhat chemical.
So we use a lot of homemade fondant and MMF.

Where do you buy Massa Grischuna?

Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 17

Where do you buy Massa Grischuna?[/quote]

I Googled it and they have a shop online.

www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023.html

Hope this helps.

I am going to try it too.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #15 of 17

I agree with everyone regarding Satin Ice.

On your cake frosting melting, depending on the storing or house temperature that could have been factors. I steer clear of store frostings and make my own. I use swiss buttercream for my projects but for children's cake something like buttercream dream may work best. It is listed in the recipe section here so give that a try. It is quick, easy and you can make it any flavor you would like.

Fondant will also sweat if stored improperly and could take hours to dry out.

Good luck and happy baking!

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #16 of 17

I loved Fondarific - bought the buttercream flavor at ICES this year. I would love to use it all the time but I don't sell cakes (just bake for a hobby) so it is very expensive, particularly since I have no local source & would have to order online (and pay shipping).

I have used marshmallow fondant but took the suggestion from experts here to try the Michele Foster fondant - and it was easier to make and to use than I thought it would be. And I flavor it just like my buttercream, so it's tasty too.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 17

I use Satin Ice in a regular basis, Pettinice chocolate because of the taste

However, I've been experiencing some cracking with SI and was covering a sculpted car with lots of corners, decided to give Duff's a try (yes it's EXPENSIVE). Review follows:

-smells like popcorn, great for children cakes... not sure if I would like it for other purposes though
-great taste
-wonderful color, used red
-beautiful texture, didn't crack at all, was soft and pliable. Elasticity allows to roll real thin without breaking or cracking, easy to transfer
-just perfect to cover a large (16x13") area

Love working with it, price is a big NO. I strongly believe they target occasional bakers and has everything to become an end-user favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%