Looking For The Right Cookie Cutter

Baking By Sagebrush Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm by cookiemookie

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make cookies like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1239420

or this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1308384

I found the stencils, but I want to get the right cookie cutter to go with them. The hearts I've seen come in so many shapes and sizes (I think the ones in the Ateco set are too tall, and I know I've seen some that are too short and fat). Has anyone done these who can point me in the right direction to find a cookie cutter that is the size and shape to fit the stencil? It would be great if the Wilton comfort grip one would work, or if Global Sugar Art carries the one I'm looking for, because I'm aleady planning on getting Sharon Zambito's buttercream and fondant DVDs with the $ my mom sent me for Christmas.

Anyhow... Thanks in advance.

- Leisel

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 8

Cookiemookie did a thread explaining the technique and where she bought all her supplies, including the cutter too I believe? (I think she said it was purchased as a set from www.kitchenkrafts.com ?)

Here's the thread...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594124-stencil.html

Here's her quote...

I looked through some of my scrap booking supplies and found some stencils that I have never used. You can also get stencils at www.culinarystencils.com I got the heart stencil (came with a cutter and 3 designs) www.kitchenkrafts.com

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

Too funny. I knew before I opened the link that they had to be Rose's (Cookiemookie's) work. She is the master of stenciling. Rose's directions are great. I played with it a bit and look forward to trying more. Have fun!

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #4 of 8

I looked on kitchenkrafts for the heart stencil and cutter but could not find them...any suggestions...thank you

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #5 of 8

Those cookies are absolutely beautiful!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #6 of 8

The Winterthur Hearts (latest in my gallery) comes with the stencils and the cutter from www.culinarystencils.com

These are a new line of stencils that come with a tin cutter for $12! I personally love these as they are very nice sized cookies. I'm hoping they come out with more of these for the other cookie occasions!

This cutter also works very well with some of the older designs, mainly the one with the cherub and the other two in my gallery. I did these in purple and white as well as the red and white.

The second set of cookies with the swirl design was done with a Wilton heart cutter. It actually came with one of their stencils. I don't really like their stencils compared to Designer Stencils, but the cutter worked out perfectly!

Hope this helps anyone looking to try these.

Rose (cookiemookie) Getting better slowly but surely!

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you, I found them and already ordered the hearts...Can't wait to try them.. I do have one question, can I use BC icing on the cookie the RI to stencil them? Thanks you

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 8

Do you mean as your base?

I imagine it could be done, but only if it is a crusting kind. You could end up with all kinds of finger marks on them from trying to hold your stencil down, plus if it isn't crusting your stencil might stick to it when you apply the pressure needed to get a good image.

I've never done it. I know it's done on buttercream cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%