No One Will Eat Fondant-Not Even Mff So ? About White

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm by colombean

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #31 of 47

DelectabilityCakes, I agree 100% with you! What a ridiculous thing to suggest, peeling of the fondant. It's like we were serving improper food

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #32 of 47

i know im a minority but i love fondant!! it makes the cake to me cause its the sponge, bc and fondant that all together in your mouth makes it perfect!! a dessert cake is different, you wouldnt want fondant with that but to me a party cake/ occasion cake isnt right without fondant - its lovely!!! i use Lindy Smith/Debbie Brown/Nicholas Lodge's gelatine based fondant and its easy to work with, easy to make without a mixer and tastes lovely icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #33 of 47

I agree with you DC.... from what I can see they put the fondant on pretty darn thick at Duff's...

I really can't tell you how many people come to me.... they say they don't like fondant....then when they taste mine, they order it. 99.9% of my weddings are with my semi-homemade white choc. fondant. I think the track record speaks for itself. Yes, I love the look of fondant, but it also has to taste good or it's not going on my cakes. I take just as much pride in the taste of my cakes as do I the looks....

Jen icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelectabilityCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

I just bought the Ace of Cakes book and in it Duff says that fondant should be peeled off and not eaten. I once recommended this to my niece when I was trying to talk her into a fondant covered cake. She told me that some of the icing would come off on the fondant and that would not be acceptable!

I figure why go to the extra expense and effort if it is not appreciated. However, if you really want to use fondant and your cakes are gifts, I say use it and tell 'em Duff said to peel it off!

Seriously, people are just too picky. It's really just about what type of fondant, what brand you're using if it's not homemade, the thickness, the flavor, the texture, etc.

I really honestly do not like Duff from Ace of Cakes.. I might be too sensitive but that offends me that a leading person in the Cake Decorating industry is telling mass amounts of the public that fondant should not be eaten. Now it's going to put people into a mindset that it's inedible and that's ridiculous.

I have people eat my fondant all the time and I continuously take the critiquing as a compliment. Not everyone likes fondant and some people like buttercream or ganache better. Fondant is partially for show but not entirely it's still meant to be eaten as a compliment to the cake.

I use MMF all the time but I'm going to try the WCF next to see what that brings..

I hope the WCF is as good as I think it will be but I have even made MFF, considered the best non chocolate homemade fondant, very thin but people still don't like it, not ONE single person, no one and we are so not picky eaters. I have to respectfully disagree that fondant is a compliment to the taste of a cake, for the looks yes but I don't believe I'll ever have anyone say "can I have the piece with the most fondant" unless maybe it's the WCF (crossing fingers). And I seriously doubt that most people who make a cake at home for the family just to eat as a dessert after dinner and not to enjoy the presentation will make fondant to cover it, at least in the US. Most people want soft cake with fluffy soft frosting. Just my opinion though.

On another note I don't care for Ace either. I never watch their show but I do think he's probably had lots of experience with people and fondant and has found it's just easier to tell them not to eat it so he doesn't get negative feedback about the cakes. I just think that though, it's not first hand..lol

I personally think fondant tastes best just pinching a piece off the ball and not with the cake....MFF smells so good too all buttery and sweet.

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #35 of 47

I haven't tried MFF, only MMF. I would like to try the former, but was wondering about the white chocolate part. Do you make the recipe and then add some melted white chocolate?

JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:15am
post #36 of 47
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #37 of 47

Well I guess that link got edited but if you can't get it just try this but you might have to put in the http thingy and perhaps you can figure it out
b a kin g91 1 dot com/recipes/candy/fondant_whitechocolate.htm

Geesh I had to even redo it again because without the hypertext letters it still took out the baking nine one one part.

JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:00am
post #38 of 47

I was looking for fondant sheeter for someone else (dream) and I stumbled upon this interesting article about fondant and charm city.
fondantinfodotcom/2007/10/26/breaking-news-fondant-doesnt-taste-that-good/

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:23am
post #39 of 47

I have to agree, some people hate it but love the look of it. But it's like they say a cake should look nice and be tasty. Most of the people I make cakes for don't finid fondant tasty. MMF or even Fondx. And I roll it our thin too.

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:07am
post #40 of 47

When I was taught cake decorating I was told that fondant was originally 'made' for fruit cakes etc. And 'lends' itself to heavy cakes... like muds. Not delicate cakes like sponges. Makes sense. I've watched a bit of Ace on youtube (we don't have it here in Aus) and he always uses a softer cake (you can tell when they're carving it) and biting through a soft spongey cake effortlessly, yet having to really work just to get down the icing doesn't sound too appetising! I'm a recent convert to fondant. And when I did my first wedding recently, with a very dense marbled mud cake recipe, torted with ganache and covered with a thick layer of ganache and thin layer of fondant.... there was not one piece of fondant on a single soul's plate (no exaggeration). Not bragging, haha. I'm just saying if you team it with the right things it tastes great. It just simply does not go well with a softer/lighter cake. In my humble opinion, haha! My mother in law LOVES the stuff... as do many of my friends and family. So not everyone hates it. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:51am
post #41 of 47

I love MFF, especially the white chocolate version.

JustToEatCake Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel_Anne

When I was taught cake decorating I was told that fondant was originally 'made' for fruit cakes etc. And 'lends' itself to heavy cakes... like muds. Not delicate cakes like sponges. Makes sense. I've watched a bit of Ace on youtube (we don't have it here in Aus) and he always uses a softer cake (you can tell when they're carving it) and biting through a soft spongey cake effortlessly, yet having to really work just to get down the icing doesn't sound too appetising! I'm a recent convert to fondant. And when I did my first wedding recently, with a very dense marbled mud cake recipe, torted with ganache and covered with a thick layer of ganache and thin layer of fondant.... there was not one piece of fondant on a single soul's plate (no exaggeration). Not bragging, haha. I'm just saying if you team it with the right things it tastes great. It just simply does not go well with a softer/lighter cake. In my humble opinion, haha! My mother in law LOVES the stuff... as do many of my friends and family. So not everyone hates it. icon_smile.gif

Bel, I think if you pretty much grew up eating it on fruitcakes (Fruitcake is a joke to a lot of Americans, they even have fruitcake throwing contests) I think you may be more open to the texture.

I did read where it was first used to cover fruitcake which I "might" like better on that just to lend a bit of sweetness and hey the fondant might be softer than the cake!!! lol..It's all to each his own, everyone is different and now I am chomping at the bit to try the chocolate fondant.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #43 of 47

Except for the wedding guests who happen to get an "outside" piece, most people are served a long, skinny piece of cake that only has a 2" X 1" wafer-like smidgen of fondant on top anyway. At that size, I don't know that the fondant makes it or breaks it!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #44 of 47

Bel Anne thanks so much for that info, I also had a hard timing finding that forum and wasn't sure about the whole bc thing under the fondant. Thanks again!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #45 of 47

Thanks for the recipe link, justtoeatcake! I found it and bookmarked it! Doesn't sound too hard to make.

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Bel, I think if you pretty much grew up eating it on fruitcakes (Fruitcake is a joke to a lot of Americans, they even have fruitcake throwing contests) I think you may be more open to the texture.

Nobody really eats fruit cake in Australia either (except at christmas) And I tried my first piece of fondant only last year... when I was doing a class in it. But yes, everyone's palate is different. You will find people who like the stuff! Good luck icon_smile.gif

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #47 of 47

just wanted to put my 2cents in =0)
I haven't had a problem with my mmf. I've even asked a baker friend who makes gorgeous cakes with her husband. and she likes my fondant, saying it's a lot better than the one she buys! it's sweet, and just basically tastes like marshmallows. (I even sorta burnt it once! and that gave it a more caramelly flavor...who woulda thunk!)
ON the other hand. buttercream is really good, especially if you are going to flavor it all the different ways there are! I just think that cake under fondant is more versatile. since you are covering it completely and you can have that many more decorations. Buttercream puts too much strain on my poor little wrists =0)
(oh, and I have more time towork on a a fondant cake...I wouldnt want my buttercream to sit out while I am trying to do so much to it)
ok. that was like a dollars worth...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%