Chocolate Ganache Under Buttercream??

Decorating By llbesq Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 12:16am by LaBellaFlor

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a "mug of hot cocoa" cake and filled and covered the cake with chocolate ganache last night. I am planning to ice it with buttercream icing this evening. Good idea or bad idea?? Thanks in advance for the input!

7 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm just wondering about the over-powering sweetness of ganache and bc combined? Perhaps it depends on how thick a layer of BC you plan to use. I think when people use fondant over ganache, they keep the fondant pretty thin, or in the event that someone doesn't like the flavors combined they can then peel off the fondant. That may be more difficult to do with BC.

I think it CAN be done, but I'm just thinking about the palatability of the combination.

llbesq Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

I didn't use a heavy coating of ganache, but rather used it more like a crumb coat and "spackle". I see what you are saying about the overpowering sweetness issue, so hopefully using a light coating of ganache will take care of that. Thanks!

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 8

it will taste great! I just did this for a Christmas cake and it was yummy!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 8

Ganache is used as a frosting. Why would you need to do both?

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 8

I did it because I like how ganache seals and sets up. Then I used white buttercream frosted roughly so it would look like snow.

llbesq Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 8

Same thing for me- I used it to seal the chocolate crumbs and "spackle" parts of the cake where I had carved for the desired shape.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #8 of 8

I can see how that would help with the smoothness. But I personally, crumb coat & frost with ganache or SMBC, never both. I get the same effect for both...though I know some say they get a smoother effect just using ganache under fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%