Cooking Two Cakes At The Same Time Question...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 1:28am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 11

If i cooked a 7" cake and a 6" cake in the oven on the same shelf at once would that be ok or affect their cooking cose they are different sizes?

10 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 11

The 6" will be done slightly sooner than the 7", but probably take more time than if baked alone.

Be careful when pulling out the rack to test the cakes--be very gentle when pushing it back in, too. Too much movement can make the cake(s) sink in the center.

It should be fine.

I generally only bake same recipe, same size at the same time (I actually weigh the batter so that each pan of batter is identical), but I would certainly bake a 6 & 7 simultaneously on the same shelf.

HTH
Rae

CaketheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaketheCake Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 11

about baking diff size cakes at the same time like the other lady said well is should be just fine just make sure the timing and that when you do think that the small is ready make sure the larger one is set so it does not sink in when u do open the oven door since these two are not much in differnt size they will most likely be done well about the same size ive done it before and it comes out fine

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 11

I load my oven up with different sized pans all the time. They all bake at different speeds, but it doesn't affect the quality.

Elise87 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:51am
post #5 of 11

thanks for the tips! I have a book where the different in baking times between the 2 tins is only 15 mins, min 50 mins so i think the cakes would have cooked far enough to not collapse or anything, and even if i did 2 different recipes some have the same cooking times anyway.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah, what costumeczar said for sure icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 11

If I only baked same size same recipe cakes one at a time I'd never get all my baking done. I bake 4",10" rounds with sheetcakes and everything else on different shelves and rotate and flip flop them during cooking with no troubles.

Personaly with just a 6 and 7 inch cake though....I'd be tempted to shove a flower nail into the 7" cake and see if they don't both get done around the same time? The 7" might actually finish first lol

Elise87 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:09am
post #8 of 11

Ooo that reminds me i have a question about cooking with flowernails.

Below is the photo of the flower nail i bought and i see most with the flat head bit the same shiny metal colour as the long handle bit but my handle bit has a coppery colour so is it still safe to use in cakes?
LL

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 11

I've never seen a flower nail like this, but copper is a wonderful heat conductor.
My biggest concern would be that when copper oxidizes, it turns green.

In a wet environment, that oxidation could come off--not pretty in the middle of a white cake...........

Not sure what to recommend here.

Rae

Elise87 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 11

yeh i am hesitant to use it cose not sure lol

Elise87 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:28am
post #11 of 11

more opinions about the flower nail?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%