Looking Or Tres Leches Filling Recipe

Baking By Cookie4 Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 2:55pm by millermom

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 5

Last year I purchased some Smuckers Tres Leches Ice Cream Topping which I used for a 5-tier wedding cake which was incredible. This March my daughter is getting married and she wants the same intense caramel flavor in between the layers of her cake.

I wrote to Smuckers and that flavor was disconinued. I have purchased 7 jars of other brands of topping but just can't dupicate the flavor. Does anyone here on CC have a recipe for the topping with intense caramel flavor that I could make myself?

4 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 5

I make caramel candy. Then, when I need filling (usually it's cupcakes), I place some of the caramel in a saucepot and add a bit of whipping cream and heat it...add a bit more whipping cream if necessary. It's definitely caramel-y!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

Was it tres leches, or dulce de leche?

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 5

OMG - you are so right, it was Dulche de Leche! Got any ideas on how to make this extremely rich with flavor?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 5

Nestle sells a version that is really good. It comes in a can, about the size of a can of evaporated milk. I get it in the Mexican food section of my local grocery store. HTH (the real Mexican food, not the Old El Paso and Pace salsa, not knocking them, but dulce de leche is a little more authentic Mexican if that makes sense, so you might have to find a grocery store that has a wider variety)

Also, if you look on here, there are instructions about how to boil a can of condensed milk (still in the can) and get a more caramel consistency. Don't think it is quite the same, but might be worth a try if you can't find the other.

Also, on another note, if you do find the Nestle brand, they also make a product called media crema. It would be right there next to the dulce de leche in the store. Mix one can of dulce de leche with one can of media crema, and it makes a DELICIOUS fruit dip! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%