Best Butter Cream Ever! How Did She Make It?

Decorating By xswizit1 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 6:28am by loveqm

xswizit1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xswizit1 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:41am
post #1 of 57

I am writing about wedding cakes and one of the bakeries insisted on sending me some samples. Who could turn her down?

Anyway, I am not a big fan of butter cream, but her's was the best I have ever tasted! It wasn't greasy, like some or overly sweet.

She did tell me she makes it with real butter and almond extract. If anyone has a recipe that is similar, i would love to have it!

Thanks!

56 replies
cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:54am
post #2 of 57

wow! so difficult to tell without tasting it!

Was it smooth? Did it seem like there was icing sugar or not? Was it light and fluffy or more reminiscent of birthday cake frosting.

You should ask her if it's real butter cream (Italian or Swiss Meringue) or if it's frosting with icing sugar.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:08am
post #3 of 57

The Brite White fosting recipe on CC is excellent:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html

The butter variation is my favorite icon_smile.gif

xswizit1 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 57

Cupcakequeen,
It was very smooth. I haven't ever used icing sugar though. This is what her website says about her butter cream...

"Basic French Buttercream
This is the last word in buttercream. Not cloyingly sweet, this buttercream is made on a meringue base mounted with butter. "

It didn't taste like any butter cream I have ever had, nor did it taste like the 'better' cream. It wasn't fluffy like that. It was more dense.

Maybe if I gush about how wonderful it was, she will tell me her secret!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 57

Gee I hope so...then you can share her secret ....with some of your close personel friend icon_wink.gif your CC friends icon_biggrin.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 57

Here are some links for French Buttercream recipes. The one with the egg yolks is what I've always know to be a true French Buttercream and sounds like the description.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r517.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1918,158185-241195,00.html

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 57

Wow! I wanna try it! Sounds fantastic! Does her bakery have a website? Whats the name of the bakery?
So the French buttercream is less sweet, more dense?
(I haven't made it)
icon_wink.gif

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 57

I've always just made Swiss or Italian meringue and have foudn both processes eaqually lenghty icon_smile.gif But it's worth it because you get a smooth icing.

I've never tried French butter cream before...I think I will!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 57

O man, tried Italian Meringue Bc and boy o boy that stuff is like GOOOODDDDD!!!! I am sure that any meringue based icing is going to be loads better than good ol' fashioned American style bc. Lots less sugar (I think most of those recipes use granulated sugar anyway and not a lot of powdered sugar.) More flavorful and just melts in your mouth without feeling like you just had a spoonful of lard.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 57

What would be a good BC icing to have during the summer for an outside event? I have tried the crisco BC and didn't care for it. Does Satin Ice taste good? MMF isn't too bad but would really like the BC tatste.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 57

one of the meringues (maybe swiss or french?) hold up better than the Italian BC. the crisco one would probably be the BEST to hold up. Satin ice doesn't taste like BC

xswizit1 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 7:06am
post #12 of 57

The name of the baskery is Truffes and their website is www.gooeychocolate.com.

The recipe from cooks.com sounds most like it. I will have to make it and see if it tastes the same.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 7:19am
post #13 of 57

I make the French Buttercream by the cooks.com recipe and it is delicious. Everybody always wants to know what it is. They always ask if it has whipped cream in it. I can't decorate too well with it because the butter gets too soft but it tastes wonderful.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 7:35am
post #14 of 57

I clicked on the link you supplied, xswizit1, and under the Wedding Cakes title the last line of her "blurb" states that her cakes are frosted using French Buttercream. I've never tried it myself, but now I want to especially if it's less sweet than it's American counterpart.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 8:16am
post #15 of 57

before I purchased the egg whites to make Swiss meringue butter cream..I'd break and separate my egg yolks and egg whites.

I would make swiss meringue butter cream with the whites and French with the yolks and then I"d mix them together...

I got tired of all those egg yolks in my cooler!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:42am
post #16 of 57

try the whipped buttercream recipe here.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

I swap the crisco for butter and everyone who's tasted it thinks it's fantastic. Much lighter (due to the meringue) and not so sickly as normal butter cream. I always use vanilla extract but you could swap it for almond

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:20pm
post #17 of 57

I would love to try some of these French and Italian buttercream recipes. However, I've got this phobia about raw eggs. I think it's been drilled into me that they just are not safe. Has anyone tried any form of egg substitute with any success? Thanks soooooo much!!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 57

butternut..you don't use raw eggs..you cook them with the sugar...and using pasteurized eggs also is a safety measure.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 4:03pm
post #19 of 57

Question about Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting on this site:
2 Tbsp m e r i n g u e powder - add 1 additional Tbsp for SLIGHT crusting?

Is this not a real good crusting buttercream?

Chris0306 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris0306 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:27am
post #20 of 57

This might be a DUMB question but I am going to ask it anyway. I went on the Cooks web site and noticed that it said to keep cake in the fridge until ready to serve. Does this buttercream spoil????

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #21 of 57

I use the whipped buttercream all the time. It does crust lightly and is very light. I would love to try the other buttercreams also, but the refrigeration part stops me everytime.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:52am
post #22 of 57

SuzyLynn: ? Just curious, but what refrigeration part are you talking about? If you use butter in icings, I think you have to refrigerate. I use all Crisco (with flavoring!) buttercream icings and never refrigerate. icon_confused.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:20am
post #23 of 57

Buttercream with butter doesn't need to be refrigerated unless you put milk in it or the temperature is very hot. If you're using whipping cream that may be a different story.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:30am
post #24 of 57

I went to a bakery the other day and spoke with the decorator and she told me her buttercream is hi ratio shortening butter and pudding. I haven't figured that one out until the other day I was icing a cake with some of it a realized a taste to it and I think its bavarian cream that is used for the pudding its not sweet and it fluffy. Makes a wonderful filling. It has stumped me all week trying to figure what pudding.

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

I went to a bakery the other day and spoke with the decorator and she told me her buttercream is hi ratio shortening butter and pudding. I haven't figured that one out until the other day I was icing a cake with some of it a realized a taste to it and I think its bavarian cream that is used for the pudding its not sweet and it fluffy. Makes a wonderful filling. It has stumped me all week trying to figure what pudding.

Do you have the recipe cakesondemand? It sounds interesting, would love to try it.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:51am
post #26 of 57

I would like to try it also

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 3:30am
post #27 of 57

No not yet I was going to try it with 8 oz of butter 16 oz hi ratio shortening and 16 oz of bavarian cream. I not sure the bakery would give me the recipe since I by it from them for $3 per lb when I'm busy. there isn't any sugar added its just the 3 ingred. I'll have to add the bav a little at at time just to make sure of amount. Its very much like IMBC its kinda wierd and its hard to tell the difference.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 3:49am
post #28 of 57

I have found that if I make the Italian MBC from WBH book and then add a batch of my buttercream (butter and shortening) it is fantastic! The IMBC is a bit too buttery for my taste and the BC tends to be too sugary, when the two are mixed together I can't get enough! Plus the added bonus is that it is still very easy to get a smooth cake.
Give it a try!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:09pm
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy

I have found that if I make the Italian MBC from WBH book and then add a batch of my buttercream (butter and shortening) it is fantastic! The IMBC is a bit too buttery for my taste and the BC tends to be too sugary, when the two are mixed together I can't get enough! Plus the added bonus is that it is still very easy to get a smooth cake.
Give it a try!

Do you know if the Italian MBC from WBH is posted anywhere here on the forums? I'd love to get that recipe and try to combine it with my buttercream like you do. I think my buttercream recipe is really good but a bit sweet also. Thanks so much.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:20pm
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

before I purchased the egg whites to make Swiss meringue butter cream..I'd break and separate my egg yolks and egg whites.

I would make swiss meringue butter cream with the whites and French with the yolks and then I"d mix them together...

I got tired of all those egg yolks in my cooler!

The chocolate buttercream I make uses the whole egg with sugar - sounds similar to what you are doing in ways. It is SOOOOOOOOO yummy. I would use it all the time, but I know most people dont' want to hassle with refrigeration. Yes, the eggs are cooked, but you can't leave this out overnight, you know?

Real buttercreams make our American buttercreams disgusting, really.

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%