Too Much To Handle

Business By Confections_with_a_K Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm by JenniferAtwood

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:28pm
post #91 of 98

I defintely understand the daycare decision. I made the same one myself until I got divorced and HAD to put my kids in daycare. It was a tough thing to have to do, so I can respect that. My kids FINALLY are both in school full time (1st and 3rd grade) and life is MUCH easier as far as free time for cakes (being married to a very supportive hubby helps too... as I'm sure your wife can agree icon_smile.gif). You will strike that balance... it just takes time to work out the kinks. I think your cakes are beautiful... and they definitely warrant a higher price. I'd raise the prices to be in line with your competition (over the next year) and enjoy working less for the same amount of money. Definitely raise them some right now though. I started at $3.50 for fondant cakes and raised it to $5 over the course of a year and a half. $0.50 every 6 months. I also focus on weddings and big occasion cakes... it makes life easier for sure. Good luck finding the balance... it will happen.

Happy New Year to you as well.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #92 of 98

An idea for the phone thing: I had 3 kids under 4,and while I wasn't working, I was studying and had calls to do. Do them when they are ravenous and starting lunch. A face full of sandwich can't yell (as much). Start with short calls (faking it, or to family) and just ignore it. Over time, they learned that I wasn't going to talk just then. Then make them longer. Of course, now they are older and trying different tactics.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #93 of 98

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say on a machine that we are working very hard during the day and all calls will be returned in the evening.

Jen icon_smile.gif

KKsHubby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKsHubby Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #94 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say on a machine that we are working very hard during the day and all calls will be returned in the evening.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Hey Jen, was looking at your cakes and we love your work! I have a question. On your fondant drapes, do you luster after you apply or before, and what technique do you use?

Thanks for the input on the original thread!

B

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:43am
post #95 of 98

Just a suggestion but if you have a "job site" bakery what if you found someone who was baked but didn't make/sell cakes, you know like muffins or canolli, whatever and offered to barter bakery time use of your kitchen in return for help with caking/baking/crumb coating, etc...just a thought. I'm feel there are lots of people who would be interested.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #96 of 98

As a customer, I would not be offended or put off by an answering machine message letting me know when you make your "call back" calls. This is no different than calling the nurse line at the doctor's office- their answering machine lets you know when you can expect a return call. I do not expect them to be at my beck and call, they are busy and working with patients and I know they will call back.

I have a friend who does not want to put her 2 in daycare, but works from home. She has a student from a local high school who comes a few hours several days a week that provides child care and the student earns credit time for school. Perhaps there is something similar in your area and they could either do some child care or some phone work.

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:41am
post #97 of 98

I am also a SAHM to a 2 and 3 year old and have thought about starting a cake business from home, but like you, I am very busy all day with my kiddos. Talking to a customer in length about a cake would not be able to happen for me either, I can barely get in a quick convo with the pediatricianicon_smile.gif I think the answering machine is fine, as well as directing them to your website and e-mail.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #98 of 98

Hi, I run the "Old Stuffy (not very creative) Bakery" and just came across this post. I am the third generation to run this thirty-two year old business. Although we still do a small number of very traditional wedding cakes, the majority of our business is 3D and modern designs. As far as pricing is concerned, I believe that our pricing is in line with the national average for the quaility of work and size of business that we are. After all, we are artists and we do have over 50 employees that rely on us for a steady income. I just wanted to take the time to clarify a few things and to show some of our work. Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%