Mixing Vodka And Food Coloring

Decorating By atasteofheaven Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 3:45am by Loucinda

atasteofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atasteofheaven Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 12

can anyone tell me why i would mix food coloring and vodka. also what is the ratio that i mix them. icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 12

is there a recipe or something that is advising you to?

I mix vodka with the luster dusts.....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:42am
post #3 of 12

ditto. Vodka + dusts = edible paint.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 12

I mix the gel pastes and vodka to paint with on fondant/gumpaste. I don't have a ratio, i just add a little at a time so it is not overly thinned down otherwise it will look like watercolour and not hardly any either otherwise the colour takes a long time to dry and can stay shiny

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 12

i usually use almond flavour to make an ink out of the colour paste but i've heard you can use vodka also

atasteofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atasteofheaven Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 12

i was reading alot of the posts on this site and i noticed most people were doing it. i have no formal training in cake decoration. im learning on my own so i hope my questions dont sound elementry. anyone who gives me their advice or constructive critisism i really apriciate it. when i post pictures yall will see all of your advice at work. thanks for taking time to help me.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atasteofheaven

i was reading alot of the posts on this site and i noticed most people were doing it. i have no formal training in cake decoration. im learning on my own so i hope my questions dont sound elementry. anyone who gives me their advice or constructive critisism i really apriciate it. when i post pictures yall will see all of your advice at work. thanks for taking time to help me.

Don't worry when i first started decorating about a year ago i hardly knew anything about cake decorating and didn't even know what gel pastes were etc. I am learning on my own too and you will be surpised how much you will learn in a short amount of time with the help of books and the internet and CC is just so so helpful and don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are silly icon_smile.gif

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:29am
post #8 of 12

Usually I will use vodka to paint it. Alcohol will evaporate faster than water and so your painting will dry more quickly. I will also use it as a glue to attach fondant/gum paste pieces together - again quicker drying is usually my friend.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #9 of 12

Just wanted to add that you can successfully mix extracts with dusts to make "paint".

I didn't want to buy vodka just for the little I would need for a cake I was making, so I checked my extracts and saw that orange had the highest alcohol content (80%)...I tried it and it worked really well, it dried very quickly.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #10 of 12

I buy the little "airplane" bottles at the liquor store and they actually last me quite a while.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

I buy the little "airplane" bottles at the liquor store and they actually last me quite a while.

As we were packing up the shop, one of my helpers saw my little bottles of booze and said, "So THAT'S how you deal with bridezillas!" icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:45am
post #12 of 12

I use the airbrush colors a lot, and if I want it to be a lighter shade, I will mix everclear (vodka will work too) with it to lighten the shade. The higher the alcohol content, the faster the dry time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%