Bakels Gumpaste Sucks , How Can I Make It Harden Faster???

Decorating By BecuzImAGurl Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm by Cakeonista

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:28am
post #1 of 17

Oh my goodness, I bought Bakels gumpaste from fondantsource.com, now Thanks ALOT to that dude who recommended me this gumpaste...I have so many flowers to be made in 3 days and the flowers wont hold its shape!!!!!!! I tried adding Tylose and it still so...SOFT! what can I do now??

16 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #2 of 17

i have never ever ever had bakel's firm up....ever

sorry, i feel your pain

BecuzImAGurl Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:23am
post #3 of 17

they really shouldnt have it out anymore! Waste of my money! I have to pay so much for shipping too!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:34am
post #4 of 17

That really sucks! I'm so sorry! I hate it when stuff like this happens. If it's not too late I've actually had good luck with wilton's gumpaste and it's availble at most Michaels and Walmarts and it hardens FAST! Good luck!

BecuzImAGurl Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:05am
post #5 of 17

Yea, I tried Wilton's too, it IS very good...but it was like nearly $6.00 with tax...so I thought I tried a differ brand...guess I have to use the Wilton's then

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 17

Becuz, all I've ever used is Wiltons, just because I've never ordered anything else. It does harden VERY quickly (depending on the humidity), but I think others have commented on gp's with better texture. So sorry about your troubles...I've had to learn many times, BY EXPERIENCE, what brands/types work better than others for me.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 17

I remembered this from Baking 911 - maybe it will help you. Here's the info:

Colette Peters, famed cake designer, says in Cake's to Dream On: "I have tried many gumpaste recipes, but my favorite is actually a combination of equal parts Bakels ready-made gumpaste and either CK or Wilton powdered gumpaste. This recipe has always worked best for me, and I find that it doesn't dry quite as fast as some other recipes, and it gives you a little extra time to work on pieces. Also, it's not quite as brittle as some others, so your creations won't break as easily.

Mix the powdered gumpaste with water, following the package directions. Shape the mixture into a ball and rub the surface with a little vegetable shortening. Place it in a plastic bag, squeeze the air out, and seal it. Let it sit overnight before using it.

When you are ready to use your gumpaste, mix the Bakels gumpaste with the powdered mixture in a 1 to 1 ratio, preparing only the amount you will use that day. If the paste seems to be a bit sticky or if it's very humid, add a pinch of Tylose or CMC (synthetic gum tragacanth, the "gum" in gumpaste, found in cake-decorating stores) to keep the paste firm. Gumpaste should snap when pulled apart. Add some shortening if it seems too dry."

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 17

Farmersdaughter4 - thanks for that info. I have that book but had never noticed that tidbit. Because I already have a package of Bakel's left over (thought I had thrown it out in frustration earlier - never, ever dries!) along with some Wilton bought with a coupon and stuffed into the same very crowded storage bin, I just may try this. Hate to just throw something away if it can be salvaged somehow. But I will never buy Bakel's again.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 17

I dont like bakels, it never dries, I have ni idea why!..I like Tylose gumpaste the best or Wiltons pre-made.
Edna icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 17

I have figures that I've made with Bakel's that are STILL not dry. Did I mention I made them in JULY!!!! icon_surprised.gif

I've had the best success with fondant mixed with tylose. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

I have figures that I've made with Bakel's that are STILL not dry. Did I mention I made them in JULY!!!! icon_surprised.gif

I've had the best success with fondant mixed with tylose. thumbs_up.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif you see...it never dries!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 17

i use wilton pre-made all the time or nick lodges recipe.. wilton premade is great... hth... when i was taught g/p flowers 14 yrs. ago.. that is what i learned with .. bakels.. that is what my teacher taught us with.. didn,t have a problem.. maybe they have changed it some over the yrs.. don,t know.. but... yes. mix it with the wilton.. that way. you won,t be out of your money..

BecuzImAGurl Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #13 of 17

Thank you so much too Farmersdaughter4!! I'll try that...I just went to buy some Wiltons gumpaste today...now I can use the rest of Bakels without throwing it out and wasting the money...

I really not in a good mood today...I always go to Michaels near me and the regular staff let me use multiply coupons which they rang up separately because one coupon per order and today this other girl wont let me use all 3 I had! and I ended up having to pay for the gumpaste full price...cant my holidays get any worst...I'm not even finish with my own b-day cake ack!!! Sorry for all this venting out heheh

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #14 of 17

It's really bad stuff.....

I wonder if you added some tylose to it if that would help. I remember I used that stuff the very first time I tried gumpaste. My bows just didn't want to dry. I thought it was me that did something wrong.

Jen icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #15 of 17

I had to make snowflakes for a cake this week and got sick before I could make the snowflakes...when I felt better here I was the night before trying to figure out how I was going to make them dry for the 2:00 delivery time on Christmas Eve. Then...I remembered that someone on CC had said they had left their fondant pieces in the oven overnight with the oven light on and they were perfect! Well, I make the MMF fondant (Michele Foster's) and used it without the Tylose powder (because I totally was brain dead). It worked fantastic!!!!!!! (Take a look at my photo with the snowflakes and you will see in the close-up how dry they were...they would not bend at all when putting them on the round cake).

One of the best ideas I have found on CC! Hope it helps!

p.s. I think the stuff you buy is really, really nasty and make my own fondant...no dealing with going to Michael's and grouchy sales people...Yay!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 17

I usually just use Wilton's premade, but when I saw this, I wanted to give it a try. I had a pound of Bakels, so I got the Wilton powder and whipped it up. I have to say, I love love love the texture. Nice and snappy. I have had a problem in the past with Wiltons because it does dry so fast. I'm just not that fast with gumpaste lol. So, I appreciate that it gives me a lot of time to work. I made daisies about four days ago, and it was really nice to work with this gumpaste. It didn't leave a lot of ragged edges that needed to be cleaned up.

But, even after four days, and being mixed with Wiltons, it's still not as hard as plain Wilton's. They are definitely dry enough to use on my cake, but if I try to budge the petals, they still have just a little give. I'll use it for sure, but I may try adding more tylose to it.

Oh, also, I totally forgot about only mixing what I need to work with at the time. I just went ahead and mixed the two together, lol! It's not sticky or gummy, so I think it's OK.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 17

I just purchased some Bakel's fondant for the first time to try and I hope it is not as bad as their gumpaste. We shall see and I will let you know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%